No experience of iPod, but try (as root):
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt
cd to /mnt and see if you can see anything.
Hi,
Does anyone have an IPOD mini working with the HDD install? I'm having trouble accessing mine. Dmesg shows that it's detecting a USB device, but it doesn't seem to assign it to UBA1 or anything.
Thanks.
No experience of iPod, but try (as root):
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt
cd to /mnt and see if you can see anything.
I can try later today, but shouldn't it be UBA-something? I'm connecting with USB. I thought I read somewhere that Knoppix only uses this UBA thing for USB, and not the SDA thing anymore.
Pretty sure it should be sda1 (it could be sda).
Anyway, try it. Then you'll need something like:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/iPod vfat rw,noauto,sync 0 0
in your /etc/fstab
(of course, you'll have to do -- as root --
cd /mnt
mkdir iPod
)
Let us know how you get on: the sync entry is important for mass storage devices.
No luck! I get "not a valid block device." Any other suggestions?
Thanks for the help.
BTW, I have kernel 2.6.11.
Is the iPod powered up and on? I ask because this was exactly the error message I used to get when my Neuros wasn't running: in effect, you're trying to mount a dead device which the OS sees as no device whatsoever.Originally Posted by evan
Other than that, I'm stumped.![]()
Yeah, it's giving me the "don't disconnect" message.
Ah, I've just discovered that some iPods are formatted vfat (as are all Neuroses, iRivers and so on) while others are formatted hfss (wierd harold Mac format). Here for details.
So -- given you have support for the strange Mac filing system -- then
mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda3 /mnt
should do it
if not, try
mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda3 /mnt/
But the url above looks very useful.
Thanks. I will try that tonight and post the results.
No luck. I got "not a valid block device."

VINTAGE DEC DELNI-AA 8 PORT AUI THICKWIRE ETHERNET LAN INTERCONNECT IN COVERS.
$95.00
Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99
Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99
Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99
6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips
$125.00
Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99
Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts
$59.99
VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C
$140.00
Vintage DEC Digital Rainbow Drive Controller PC100 RD51 CNTLR
$69.99
Vintage DEC Digital M8153 RH70 UNIBUS CONTROL-BCT (B15)
$139.99