Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Booting Prob

  1. #1

    Booting Prob

    I am a knoppix newbie. But I have read a lot of threads, looking for an answer to my prob and haven't found one. I apoligize in advance if I have over looked the answer.

    I dl'ed knoppix 3.9 from a mirror and checked it using md5. burned it at a slow speed (4x). Set my BIOS to boot from CD-ROM first, and it does that, but after it starts to load I get a command promt (A:\). I am able to change the drive letter on that command prompt, but I'm not sure what to do from there in order to get knoppix up and running. thanx

    I have read some threads about SATA probs. I am running A RAIDw/2 SATA drives

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Booting Prob

    Quote Originally Posted by brian_bizzle
    I am a knoppix newbie. :) But I have read a lot of threads, looking for an answer to my prob and haven't found one. I apoligize in advance if I have over looked the answer.
    Its good that you looked before asking. That shows you are smart & shows inititiave.
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_bizzle
    I dl'ed knoppix 3.9 from a mirror and checked it using md5. burned it at a slow speed (4x). Set my BIOS to boot from CD-ROM first, and it does that, but after it starts to load I get a command promt (A:\). I am able to change the drive letter on that command prompt, but I'm not sure what to do from there in order to get knoppix up and running. thanx
    You checked md5? good. You burned it slow? good. It comes up as A:? Not good. The ISO needs to be burned as an image & not as a bootable disc. See this thread were someone had a similar problem. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19451
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_bizzle
    I have read some threads about SATA probs. I am running A RAIDw/2 SATA drives
    Yes you may have some unsupported hardware.

    Good start so far brian.
    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    It worked!!! I was under the assumption that the disc had to be bootable since my comp used it to boot, but I guess not. I Burned it as an ISO image at the slow slow 4x speed suggested and everything worked. Thanx for the help!!!! I'll keep on reading the threads too.

Similar Threads

  1. ppmtolss prob
    By mithereal in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 09:07 AM
  2. TV-Out Prob
    By bsaber in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 07:46 PM
  3. Root Console prob
    By fishjg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 01:44 AM
  4. bt voyager usb modem prob
    By motion in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 12:12 AM
  5. openoffice prob
    By M_N_M in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2003, 01:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)  picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)

$150.00