-
Boot from USB
Im curently just playhing around with knoppix, booting it off the HD using the ISO. I was wondering if there is a method to boot off the cd then use the bootfrom= to point to a USB flash drive? i have teh ISO on it now. I was also wondering if there is a way to save the changes i make to the USB drive too, lets say I install a program or even change the desktop image.
Thanks
-
Junior Member
registered user
Like Kanotix, the latest Knoppix 3.9 comes with the bootusb2 boot option. In other words, the Knoppix 3.9 CD is capable to boot from USB devices such as external USB CDROM drive.
You may follow these instructions to achieve your goal.
http://wiki.kanotix.net/CoMa.php?CoMa=usb-stickEN
In fact, rather than PMI, I did a full installation to a USB HDD. For full installation, attention is required when:
1. setting up your GRUB boot loader.
2. upgrading kernel will need some changes on the kernel settings because SCSI device support and SCSI disk support are compiled into kernel in Knoppix, you may need to compile them into modules and then make your own initrd with the mkinitrd tool.
Good luck!
-
Re: Boot from USB

Originally Posted by
plimoman
Im curently just playhing around with knoppix, booting it off the HD using the ISO. I was wondering if there is a method to boot off the cd then use the bootfrom= to point to a USB flash drive? i have teh ISO on it now. I was also wondering if there is a way to save the changes i make to the USB drive too, lets say I install a program or even change the desktop image.Thanks
Have a look at the end of this forum: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796
I boot knoppix of my USB dongle (no hd, no cd, no network, just the usb dongle...)
The BIOS boots dos from the usb dongle, config.sys loads grub.exe, grub loads the kernel and initrd_ntfs ramdisk, and knoppix boots of the iso file on my 1gb pqi usb dongle. Hope this help, Gilles
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.77