Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: how to share files between knoppix and windows...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    7

    how to share files between knoppix and windows...

    What steps would I need to do to mount a U: drive using Knoppix.
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    23

    Re: how to share files between knoppix and windows...

    Quote Originally Posted by npyang
    What steps would I need to do to mount a U: drive using Knoppix.
    Thanks in advance.
    Use Samba. Samba is the program you need to use to share programs between WIndows and Linux. very nice. just run the Samba Server and you'll be all set

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    7
    Thanks bubazoo:
    I know that you have to use Samba server, but do you know the command when you are in the root directory? Or perhaps know of a different method, also using samba. For example, I have used samba filesharing in konqueror for Knoppix 3.2 like:
    smb://servername/sharename$
    and it works fine, but on Knoppix 3.3, I am having problems authenticating.
    Let me know if you have been able to share files using samba in other ways. Thanks in advance.



    [/img][/quote]

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Surabaya - Indonesia
    Posts
    28
    LinNeighborhood doesn't work on KNOPPIX 3.3! It has 'address resolve error'

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    7

    LinNeighborhood

    LinNeighborhood doesn't work on KNOPPIX 3.3! It has 'address resolve error'


    -Is there a way to fix this? If so, how? Thanks...

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4
    I'm also experiencing both of these problems with Knoppix 3.3 (2003-11-19)
    More detail:
    - When I go to smb://server/share in Konqueror, it prompts me for the username/password, which I enter. However, in order to open any subfolder, I have to re-enter the un/pwd every time (sometimes twice) before I can view the contents, and then I still am denied access to the files.
    - In LinNeighborhood, I find the server and view the shares, but when I try to mount a share, I always get "Can't resolve address"

    Anyone know how to fix either of these problems?

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23
    I often use these aliases to reach Windows 98SE from KNOPPIX

    First do:
    # cd /mnt
    # mkdir da1

    # alias win+='mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/da1; cd /mnt/da1; ls -aF --color=auto'

    # alias win-=''cd; umount /mnt/da1'


    # win+
    # win-

    The first alias shows the contents of hda1. You can use KNOPPIX commands and do all kinds of marvelous things.

    The second exits from windows. BE SURE TO USE IT.

    These aliases can be saved in /root/.bashrc

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23
    If you have other than Windows 98, you have to use something other than vfat in the first alias..

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4
    The problem actually concerns communicating with other windows machines over the network, not with accessing the Windows partition on the local drive. Thanks though.

Similar Threads

  1. using knoppix to try to recover windows files
    By richpodraza in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 04:37 AM
  2. Connecting to Windows Share/SAMBA problem
    By Victor Warner in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 01:55 PM
  3. Cannot connect to Windows domain share
    By Victor Warner in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 10:11 AM
  4. Playing media files from Samba share.
    By frednofr in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 07:46 PM
  5. Connecting to a network share (windows)
    By newbie123 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2002, 04:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available

$97.49



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco WS-X6904-40G-2T 4-Port 40 Gigabit Ethernet Fiber Module picture

Cisco WS-X6904-40G-2T 4-Port 40 Gigabit Ethernet Fiber Module

$299.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99