Try under /var/log/
Hello,
can somebody tell me where to find the log files for my adsl connection? Sometimes I can't connect and I want to know what went wrong. Locating the logs with find was not really successful![]()
regards,
Arthur
Try under /var/log/
I think the logs should be saved to /var/log/syslog but the syslogs are disabled by default. To start them, go to the Knoppix penguin menu, then Services, Then Start SYSLOG.
pon dsl-provider = starts ADSL
poff -a = shut down ADSL (pppX)
plog = shows to you whats hapend during start (not sure, chek ADSL setup, there are massage on the end of setup)
My syslog works and become huge file. Can I delete it?
> My syslog works and become huge file. Can I delete it?
Sure. It is only a history of events that took place. As a sysadmin, we gzip compress the logs & save them, but if you have no reason to hold on to those events then there should be no problem deleting it.
I usually delete & recreate the file so that the syslog service will continue to function normal. I have seen it misbehave if the syslog is missing.
rm /var/log/syslog
cat /dev/null > /var/log/syslog
Thanks for your help, with starting the syslog demon it works fine![]()
Good. Now that you have that resolved, let me suggest that if you are using an ADSL connection without a router you are going to be making your life needlessly hard. Home DSL/cable routers are dirt cheap and take care of a lot of issues for you. They will log into your DSL provider and take care of all PPPoE and account issues, with one you just boot, automatically get your settings by DHCP from the router,a nd are on the Internet as soon as the boot completes. Considering these devices are often now $10 or less after rebate, I really can't understand anyone who doesn't already have one built into their modem not getting one.Originally Posted by ArthurAnderson
@Harry
Ok here is a reason for you or at least for me.
The benefit I see is enhanced security (build in firewall etc.), but as I have just a single laptop connected to the internet and don't have a flat rate so far (poor student) it is just not worthy the effort and the price (routers over here start at 25$ - don't nail me down to that).
I also do not think that there is a great loss of comfort by typing just one command in linux or klicking an icon in windows.
regards,
Arthur

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12
$1599.99
x2 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V ECC REG Server Memory - MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-2G6E1
$179.00
2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder
$3.99
Lot of 2 Micron 16GB RDIMM MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-2G3B1 Server RAM
$149.00
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Samsung 8GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (M471A1K43CB1CTD)
$27.99
SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM
$499.99
x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM
$329.99
2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17
$3.35