Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: problem accessing windows network drive

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    19

    problem accessing windows network drive

    Hi,
    I have success accessing windows XP drive on a PC. But, when I try to access a windows server on the network it saids the connection is broken. It did not ask for the password. Where are the log files for smb for me to trouble shoot?

    Thanks,
    Charles Li

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    19

    problem accessing windows network drive

    The syslog did not log information for access the network drive.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    How are you trying to access the Windows machine?

    I have just done the following as a test. I boot with Knoppix 3.9. I open a konsole command window. I mount the hda1 (C: drive)
    Code:
    sudo mount -t vfat -o ro,users /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    Next I open up the GUI file manager.
    Code:
    sudo konqueror
    Once that comes up, in the location bar, I use the following to authenticate to a Windows domain & then access a windows networking share.
    In the location bar:
    Code:
    smb:/domain\[email protected]
    If you do not need to authenticate to a domain, the form is:
    Code:
    smb:/hostname
    or
    Code:
    smb:/IP.address.of.machine
    This allows me to access windows shares. I navigate to where I want to save the data, then hit the keys CTRL-T to open a tnew tabbed window. Then in that location bar type:
    Code:
    /mnt/hda1/
    Now I see the hda1 (C: drive) contents. Just like in windows explorer, select the file & folders you want to copy, CTRL-C or right-click & copy them. Use the mouse & move over to the other tab with the smb connection, then CTRL-V or right-click paste to initiate the transfer.

    This method works for me.
    James

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    19

    problem accessing windows network drive

    Thanks for all your help. I got it but using the IP address.

Similar Threads

  1. Problem Accessing Windows HDD - Permissions?
    By HoldenCaulfield57 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2009, 08:01 AM
  2. accessing hard drive problem
    By markiemark in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2009, 08:31 PM
  3. Problem Accessing 1 GB USB drive
    By kaplan71 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 03:20 PM
  4. Accessing hard drive (NTFS - Windows XP) from USB Knoppix??
    By tecnoL in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 11:56 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2005, 05:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98