-
Can't see data on Windows FAT32 partition
Hi all,
I'm using Knoppix 3.9 as a live CD to recover data from a botched Win98 machine (OS boots but then explorer.exe crashes at a critical point, preventing further boot progress) by moving it from the local FAT32 hdd (one partition) to a Windows file share on another machine using SMB. I have run into a few problems, so I would really appreciate it if someone more experienced could give me a hand.
Knoppix boots but then I am told 96MB RAM is insufficient for KDE & it asks me whether I want to create a swap file on the drive. Now, maybe I'm comitting one of my trademark blunders but when I press <Enter> with Ok highlighted, I get sent back to the same dialog without warnings/errors. If I press Ok again, same thing happens.. repeat until inf. If I press <Enter> on Cancel it boots into a different windowing system. Why is it that it cannot create a swap file on a FAT32 drive?
Once I am in this other windowing system, i notice that there is a /mnt/hda1 but when I open it, it's empty. I know the drive hasn't been wiped because I can still boot Windows from it (kinda). Do I need to explictly mount it? If so, then what is hda1? Could someone help?
Thanks,
Alex
Similar Threads
-
By Nocontact in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-13-2006, 05:43 PM
-
By mobilesoul in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 13
Last Post: 10-16-2005, 04:58 PM
-
By s-m-n in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-23-2005, 08:50 PM
-
By charles1981 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-21-2005, 06:42 AM
-
By StryDeR in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 02-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Seagate BarraCuda 28TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s 3.5in Internal HDD ST28000DM000 - Tested
$670.00

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$329.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99