Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: No suitable X-server found? Please help

  1. #11
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by chomskyyy
    Is it normal that during initialization I see something like "init: version 2.78" even though I have 3.9?
    Yup, Linux kernel version vs Knoppix LiveCD version.

    Quote Originally Posted by chomskyyy
    Also, the errors seem to be rather inconsistent. Even with the same codes, I'll get varying results. I even got past the Xserver problem once, to the spaceman screen where KDE began to load, the desktop looked good, and I thought I was good, and then KDE failed and the screen went black. Then with the same codes, on the next boot, I got xserver errors again. Sometimes I get the gray screen, sometimes not, and I can properly shut down. What is the deal?
    That's not a common problem with Knoppix. I'm not saying it's the only potential cause (clearly bad memory, for example, could cause random issues, or even extreme overheating), but the only time I've seen Knoppix act this way is disc issues, either a high speed burn or booting in DMA mode on equipment that needed the nodma cheat code. Since you say you are certain it's not a disc issue I'm hoping you'll post back what it is when you find it.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    7
    Yup, Linux kernel version vs Knoppix LiveCD version.
    It says loading Linux kernel 2.6, init: knoppix version 2.78. So that is normal then?

    As far as the media goes, it is on a freshly opened disc with no visual flaws of any kind, and I only burned it at 8x, so I doubt that is it.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by chomskyyy
    Yup, Linux kernel version vs Knoppix LiveCD version.
    It says loading Linux kernel 2.6, init: knoppix version 2.78. So that is normal then?

    As far as the media goes, it is on a freshly opened disc with no visual flaws of any kind, and I only burned it at 8x, so I doubt that is it.
    Yes init is separate from the kernel & 2.78 knoppix version of init is fine.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    As well as nodma try other no-cheats: noapic noagp noapm nodma nomce nofirewire nopcmcia noscsi noswap nousb nosmp noaudio
    Those together with different xmodule=??? should hopefully get it to desktop.
    Have you tried another window manager like: knoppix xmodule=nv screen=1024x768 desktop=icewm

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    7

    Got it!

    I can't believe it - I'm finally up! As far as I can tell, I traced the problem to bad memory that I just installed a few days ago. I swapped it out with my old stick of 128 MB ram, and voila! I had been getting all kinds of weird errors and blue screens in Windows (Even more than usual), and so I switched the memory back for troubleshooting. As an afterthought I tried to load Knoppix and here I am (no cheat codes needed)! Words can not express how pleased I am right now, and thanks to all for the suggestions. Goodbye Windows....

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Glad you got it to work.

    PS: Next time you might want to include the fact that windows isn't working either with recent hardware change

  7. #17
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Yup, mentioning the Windows issues would have been a big clue. We would have also reminded you that typing memtest at the prompt would have run memtest86 and caught this right away for you.

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    7
    PS: Next time you might want to include the fact that windows isn't working either with recent hardware change
    Good point, sorry about that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. No suitable x-server found for your card
    By maltpc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 08:24 PM
  2. 5.1.1 error:no suitable X-server found
    By ilochab in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 05:51 PM
  3. 4.02 DVD -> No suitable X-Server found for your card
    By gjmoyer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 11:14 PM
  4. Error: No Suitable X-Server found
    By jefwic in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 01:45 AM
  5. No suitable X-Server found for Matrox G400
    By Stig in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 01:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$53.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Ediloca 128GB SATA III SSD 2.5 Inch Internal Drive for PC & Laptop picture

Ediloca 128GB SATA III SSD 2.5 Inch Internal Drive for PC & Laptop

$73.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$117.45



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00