Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: No suitable X-server found? Please help

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    7

    No suitable X-server found? Please help

    I am new to Knoppix, and have version 3.9. When I boot from the cd I get a boot screen. After hitting enter, some initializing and configuration takes place and at the bottom of the screen it says "no suitable x-server found for your card", and then sometimes goes to a gray screen with a large "X" for a mouse cursor and sometimes just halts at the error message. I have an nVidia Vanta graphics card, 1 GHz Athlon, 512 MB RAM. What can I do?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    7

    same

    I've tried failsafe but can't get to KDE, and I've tried countless cheats all to no avail. I've reviewed the old posts on the same problem, but still can't resolve. Anybody?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Try some of these: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes
    Perhaps something like: knoppix xmodule=nv screen=1280x1024 vsync=60 vga=791
    (adjust the above according to your monitor)

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    7
    Thank you, but still no go. I have a Sony Trinitron monitor, how can I determine the proper values for the vsync and vga parameters? I understand the vsync=60 is 60 hertz refresh which I think is fine, but how do I determine the vga value?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Googling the monitor model should give you specs for refresh rates.
    You could also try the fb1024x768 cheat instead of screen and xmodule=vesa or fbdev.
    The vga value is for frame buffer resolution and color depth in console, try vga=normal also. Here's different values: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36801

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    51
    Sorry for interrupption guys. This is an error caused because of a worn out/scratched cd.
    I got the same error a while back. But when I burnt knoppix again to a new disk, it was heaven.

    No such error will come if u have a good cd.

    Some hints in my case:cloop error(cloop is a util used to decompress boot image)
    init:X respawning too fast (Sometimes this error can be corrected by using the knoppix cheat "knoppix mem=512M" )

    Hope this helps.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by gnukish
    Sorry for interrupption guys. This is an error caused because of a worn out/scratched cd.
    I got the same error a while back. But when I burnt knoppix again to a new disk, it was heaven.

    No such error will come if u have a good cd.

    Some hints in my case:cloop error(cloop is a util used to decompress boot image)
    init:X respawning too fast (Sometimes this error can be corrected by using the knoppix cheat "knoppix mem=512M" )

    Hope this helps.
    It is certainly possible that a bad burned CD could be the problem. But it is most likely the autodetection routine failing to configure the video device. Are you sure you did not submit the wrong post to the wrong thread. This is the second of two posts where this appears to have happened.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    51
    Iam sure, coz thats why I have explained my case to him.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    7
    It is not the cd. I am wondering a few things though. Is it normal that during initialization I see something like "init: version 2.78" even though I have 3.9? Also, the errors seem to be rather inconsistent. Even with the same codes, I'll get varying results. I even got past the Xserver problem once, to the spaceman screen where KDE began to load, the desktop looked good, and I thought I was good, and then KDE failed and the screen went black. Then with the same codes, on the next boot, I got xserver errors again. Sometimes I get the gray screen, sometimes not, and I can properly shut down. What is the deal?

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    51
    Is this the result after burning knoppix in a new cd-r ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. No suitable x-server found for your card
    By maltpc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 08:24 PM
  2. 5.1.1 error:no suitable X-server found
    By ilochab in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 05:51 PM
  3. 4.02 DVD -> No suitable X-Server found for your card
    By gjmoyer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 11:14 PM
  4. Error: No Suitable X-Server found
    By jefwic in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 01:45 AM
  5. No suitable X-Server found for Matrox G400
    By Stig in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 01:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER picture

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER

$349.99



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$250.00