Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Input/output error

  1. #1

    Input/output error

    hi,

    I have been using knoppix since 3.6, but I just starting to see this problem on 3.9 release. After I let the Knoppix mahince run for about 3-4 hours, any command would result "Input/output error". Even something simple as "cat /etc/cpuinfo".

    The error really got me confused. Could the error be attributed to error in hardware?
    Thanks.

    Jason

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I/O errors usually happen when the knoppix CD image that was downloaded is corrupt. Check the md5sum of the ISO image. Or perhaps it was burned at too fast a burning speed, 4x & 8x recommended. Or perhaps your CDR media is not good. See the http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

  3. #3
    But the weird thing is that initially the system will be ok. ssh, samba all runs fine. The error only occurs after few hours of using it.

    If the CD was corrupted, wouldn't the error show up right away?

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    I must be sure: are you talking about running Live CD? I have a problem with one CD - I put it in cdrom, reboot PC, nothing, only one line of text, again and again, than everything is OK, I installed this distro on hdd (Kanotix), no problems at all. It seems that something is wrong in a fisical way, maybe CD need a bit of warming, who knows. Your case is oposite, maybe you have too much "warming"...

  5. #5
    to much "warming"
    This actually came across my mind, but I doubt that was the reason either.
    I tried "toram" switch just to make sure it wasn't the problme with CD-rom.

    I guess I will try burnning a different CD and see what happens. Thanks though.

    Jason

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Input/output error

    What cheat codes are you using? This is just a wild guess, but if ACPI isn't working correctly your machine might be overheating.

    BTW, it's ' cat /proc/cpuinfo ', not etc.

    What kind of specs does your system have, CPU, cdrom, video card, is it a laptop, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by enlightened_j
    hi,

    I have been using knoppix since 3.6, but I just starting to see this problem on 3.9 release. After I let the Knoppix mahince run for about 3-4 hours, any command would result "Input/output error". Even something simple as "cat /etc/cpuinfo".

    The error really got me confused. Could the error be attributed to error in hardware?
    Thanks.

    Jason

  7. #7
    I was using a Athlon MP 1800+ (1.6 ghz or so) under-clocked to 600 mhz.
    NVidia Gefore 2 MX graphic card.
    640 MB of ram (256 + 256 + 12
    The only cheat code I tried is "toram"

    Even if ACPI wasn't working correctly, it should still work ok considering that the CPU is running at 600 mhz

Similar Threads

  1. Kismet Input/output error
    By Marshall in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2007, 04:09 AM
  2. fread input/output error
    By mikesmith36 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-24-2005, 10:35 AM
  3. ntfs_mount failed:input/output error
    By cobra1122 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 08:17 PM
  4. bash: /usr/bin/sudo: Input/output error
    By downdogWoof in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 05:27 AM
  5. input output error during install
    By Penumbral in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 07:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested) picture

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)

$39.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00