-
Junior Member
registered user
LTModem & Knoppix
I have Knoppix 3.1 installed on a Toshiba laptop. KDE 'control centre' reports I/O 1080-1087 & 1400-14ff used by Lucent LT Winmodem so Knoppix has found the modem & it is one which is supposedto be supported by LTModem drivers. KPPP reports 'modem is busy' (doing what??) in /dev/ttyS1. I have downloaded ltmodem-2.4.20-8.26a9_i386.deb & 'installed' it using KPackage & it has produced /lib/modules/2.4.20/lt_modem.o & /lt.serial.o but it doesn't seem to have helped connect to the modem. Documentation which comes with the package doesn't help, it just says run ./ltinst2. There is no /ltinst2 anywhere. So I have downloaded ltmodem-8.26a9 package & opened it. It has an /ltinst, a /build_module and a /build_deb . Trying to run any of them returns 'permission denied'. How am I denied permission? I am root. I thought root could do anything.
What am I doing wrong?
-
Senior Member
registered user
ltinst2 is probably not executable, so you will have to make the file executable with a command like:
chmod a+x ltinst2
This command will change the executable permissions to allow all users to execute it. This assumes ltinst2 is in your current directory, then you can execute it with ./ltinst2
rock
-
Junior Member
registered user
Ok, I tried that. still permission denied.
Has anybody out there actually gotten a winmodem working? How did you do it?
-
LTmodem
I have'nt got it to work with Knoppix, but in any other distro I got the package and built the drivers. It goes thru a pile of checks and builds for your system.
Your problem may be the symbolic link of /dev/ttyLT0 /dev/modem but using the package it will create the link.
I found with Knoppix tho that I got a kernel mismatch problem and have'nt tried again yet.
roadie
-
Junior Member
registered user
Using the package??? My problem is how do you 'use the package'. I've 'installed' it with KPackage, looked for any instructions, tried to follow the instructions (e.g. run the non-existant ./ltinst) searched for more instructions, searched this forum for winmodem & ltmodem & not found anyone who successfully installed it & I'm all out of ideas. What do I try next?
-
Winmodem
I have'nt checked the LTmodem site in a long time but there should be a .tgz or .bz2 file on it. Thats what I use, use Midnight Commander to extract the files then cd into the directory & run ./build module.
Not dead sure on that, I'm not on that machine, but you'll see all the files, ./ltinst is in there.
roadie
-
Junior Member
registered user
I can't believe it! I actually got it to work! I had already DL'd the ...tar file & extracted it some time ago but the ./ltinst wouldn't run ('permission denied' see above). I have NO idea why. Anyway, I re-copied the ...tar to /root, extracted it there & everything seems to have run through ok. ./ltinst2 is made by build_module & doesn't appear unless build_module is successful. Anyway, so far so good, I hope. Thanks for the help.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
LinuxAmateur
I can't believe it! I actually got it to work!
Your Winmodem really works now? Could you please share with us so that we can Winmodems too?
-
Maybe you weren't able to run the script because the partition where it was located was mounted as "noexec", so there wouldn't be any way you could make it run.
-
Ltmodem works
I should have found this thread before posting a new one...
Anyway, can you please see my message at the Lounge thread?
"Lucent winmodem may work with KNOPPIX CD".
Anyone else who was successful in getting ltmodem to work, please make us know!
(please note the BIOS fine-tuning, especially when the modem is ONBOARD)
Andreas
Similar Threads
-
By usulix in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Intel Xeon W-3245 16-Core 3.2GHz (SRFFD) Apple MAC PRO A1991 CPU Processor
$199.99

HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000
$599.99

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX
$149.99

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99