-
Senior Member
registered user
I'm thoroughly impressed with knoppix
I got this dell inspiron 2000. I got it specifically to run the garmin gps 18 and nroute software in my auto. That works great.
Problem is the machine comes already configured with that stinking (expletive deleted) windows xp os. It doesn't allow me to make any changes to the way the thing runs. When you boot it gives you a lot of pop ups which are tantamount to a lot of commercials. It comes with a cd burner but none of my burn software such as nero will run on the thing. When I burn cd's using the windows explorer, they are created in a format (probably ntfs) which none of my other computers can read.
I wanted to run another os on this machine but didn't think I stood a snowball's chance in hell of doing so. I inserted the knoppix 3.8.2 cd into the machine and turned on the power. IT BOOTED AND RAN FLAWLESSLY. Wow!
Now here's a question for you knoppix wizards. Is there any way that I can, using k3b, burn some of the files on my hdd to the cdrom? I know I'm running from cd but I don't want to do a hdd install to this machine. Can I somehow tell knoppix to run entirely from ram ( I got 512 meg) so that the cd drive is freed up for burning?
Thanks in advance
Nick
Similar Threads
-
By maestrobwh1 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-25-2009, 08:04 PM
-
By spydie in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 12-22-2003, 04:05 AM
-
By turbine in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-01-2003, 09:31 PM
-
By iconfly in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-25-2003, 08:54 PM
-
By martinjh99 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-25-2002, 06:08 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$200.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99

IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested
$499.99

IBM Power 710 Express 8231-E2B 2U Rack Server POWER7 3.0GHz 32GB DDR3 No HDD
$429.99

IBM Power 710 Express 8231-E2B POWER7 16GB DDR3 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.
$409.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

IBM Power 710 Express 8231-E2B POWER7 8GB DDR3 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.
$399.99

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852
$559.00

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$281.25