Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: I'm thoroughly impressed with knoppix

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    I'm thoroughly impressed with knoppix

    I got this dell inspiron 2000. I got it specifically to run the garmin gps 18 and nroute software in my auto. That works great.

    Problem is the machine comes already configured with that stinking (expletive deleted) windows xp os. It doesn't allow me to make any changes to the way the thing runs. When you boot it gives you a lot of pop ups which are tantamount to a lot of commercials. It comes with a cd burner but none of my burn software such as nero will run on the thing. When I burn cd's using the windows explorer, they are created in a format (probably ntfs) which none of my other computers can read.

    I wanted to run another os on this machine but didn't think I stood a snowball's chance in hell of doing so. I inserted the knoppix 3.8.2 cd into the machine and turned on the power. IT BOOTED AND RAN FLAWLESSLY. Wow!

    Now here's a question for you knoppix wizards. Is there any way that I can, using k3b, burn some of the files on my hdd to the cdrom? I know I'm running from cd but I don't want to do a hdd install to this machine. Can I somehow tell knoppix to run entirely from ram ( I got 512 meg) so that the cd drive is freed up for burning?

    Thanks in advance

    Nick

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: I'm thoroughly impressed with knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by turbine
    Can I somehow tell knoppix to run entirely from ram ( I got 512 meg) so that the cd drive is freed up for burning?
    Not enough memory for the toram cheat code with Knoppix. But there are other live CDs that will boot to ram with far less ram. You might want to look at DSL for one example of a small llive CD distro that you could boot when you need to burn. It's a popular small distro, although certainly not the only choice.

Similar Threads

  1. Very impressed with 6.01
    By maestrobwh1 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2009, 08:04 PM
  2. Running Knoppix from CD, very impressed!
    By spydie in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-22-2003, 04:05 AM
  3. I was really impressed.
    By turbine in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 09:31 PM
  4. I am impressed!!!
    By iconfly in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-25-2003, 08:54 PM
  5. Impressed!! I'll Say!!
    By martinjh99 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-25-2002, 06:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory picture

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory

$149.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Crucial Laptop Ram 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT16G4SFRA32A picture

Crucial Laptop Ram 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT16G4SFRA32A

$119.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00