-
Senior Member
registered user
I'm thoroughly impressed with knoppix
I got this dell inspiron 2000. I got it specifically to run the garmin gps 18 and nroute software in my auto. That works great.
Problem is the machine comes already configured with that stinking (expletive deleted) windows xp os. It doesn't allow me to make any changes to the way the thing runs. When you boot it gives you a lot of pop ups which are tantamount to a lot of commercials. It comes with a cd burner but none of my burn software such as nero will run on the thing. When I burn cd's using the windows explorer, they are created in a format (probably ntfs) which none of my other computers can read.
I wanted to run another os on this machine but didn't think I stood a snowball's chance in hell of doing so. I inserted the knoppix 3.8.2 cd into the machine and turned on the power. IT BOOTED AND RAN FLAWLESSLY. Wow!
Now here's a question for you knoppix wizards. Is there any way that I can, using k3b, burn some of the files on my hdd to the cdrom? I know I'm running from cd but I don't want to do a hdd install to this machine. Can I somehow tell knoppix to run entirely from ram ( I got 512 meg) so that the cd drive is freed up for burning?
Thanks in advance
Nick
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: I'm thoroughly impressed with knoppix

Originally Posted by
turbine
Can I somehow tell knoppix to run entirely from ram ( I got 512 meg) so that the cd drive is freed up for burning?
Not enough memory for the toram cheat code with Knoppix. But there are other live CDs that will boot to ram with far less ram. You might want to look at DSL for one example of a small llive CD distro that you could boot when you need to burn. It's a popular small distro, although certainly not the only choice.
Similar Threads
-
By maestrobwh1 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-25-2009, 08:04 PM
-
By spydie in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 12-22-2003, 04:05 AM
-
By turbine in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-01-2003, 09:31 PM
-
By iconfly in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-25-2003, 08:54 PM
-
By martinjh99 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-25-2002, 06:08 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2
$135.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73