-
Junior Member
registered user
cfdisk partitions and knoppix mounted drives disagree?
Hi, just wondering if someone can help me understand why this might be... I'm waaay new to this (everything I know I learned here/have an unfinished thread in the windows forum), and ended up here as I suppose many do because during a Win2K reinstall my MBR and/or partition table(s) got trashed, and all my data was "gone".
Now that I've had a few stable hours in knoppix, and followed the great explanation in this thread for fixing partition tables, I've got a good (beginner's) handle on cfdisk.
Sorry that's a lot of preliminary for...
I have two SATA drives, so /dev/sda and /dev/sdb rather than hda and hdb, otherwise they seem to work the same? cfdisk has successfully restored my sda partitions, and reactivated the wandering/lost boot partition as it should have (btw why when there is only "free space" and sda5+ does it activate as sda2? but I digress...)
sdb shows up in cfdisk as one big drive (120GB) and a little left over, but the thing I don't get is, why do I correctly have mounted sdb1 2 and 3 in knoppix if cfdisk says those partitions don't exist? I'd love to just rewrite my sdb partition table as it was--and as knoppix recognizes it--but cfdisk says no go? Is there a way to rebuild the table as knoppix reads it, and not as cfdisk does?
Thanks for running a great forum...
-
Junior Member
registered user
Uh... perhaps that wasn't clear? I'll try again, just in case.
I can read and write from sdb1, sdb2, and sdb3 through Knoppix, but cfdisk tells me only sdb1 exists. If I could simply rebuild the partition table, it would save me having to archive 10-15 DVDs...
Thanks again
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
randolphtaco
If I could simply rebuild the partition table, it would save me
Read the man page for gparted and see if you think that might help.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hi again Harry, unless I'm mistaken gparted and QTParted use the same engine. QTParted agrees with cfdisk, not knoppix. How can two partitioning programs see one thing, and knoppix the other?
Similar Threads
-
By DB1 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-11-2006, 12:23 PM
-
By dipsy in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-28-2005, 02:50 PM
-
By nightfrost in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-14-2004, 08:07 PM
-
By chapium in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-18-2004, 03:42 PM
-
By allantm in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-29-2003, 07:32 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount
$489.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93