Just wondering why it's taking so long to release official 4.0 iso's. Thanks for any info!
Hi Gilles,Originally Posted by ruymbeke
is unionfs working reliably in Knoppix 4.0? i.e. with a cheat such as "unionrw" or by mounting a unionfs image file, is one able to update/upgrade/install .debs?
Thanks in advance?
Tom
Just wondering why it's taking so long to release official 4.0 iso's. Thanks for any info!
Well, I just installed a DVD recorder in my machine in anticipation of Knoppix 4.0. Can't wait...
But arn't they also releasing a CD ISO as well?
Any one know if Knoppix 4.0 "lite" will have 2.6.12?
Practically all of us here are not Knoppix developers or beta testers, but are just community volunteers. There is no way any of us non-developers can give you more information than what is listed at http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html. Some of the developers do visit these forums but you can contact the Knoppix developers at their mailing list at http://sympa.linuxtag.net/wws.
Well I'd prefer the full version now that one is available.
Nice way to break in my NEC DVD burner on something worth the disk.![]()
I'm downloading 4.0 via bittorrent and it's very active compared to Libranet which is taking two weeks LOL.
I'll leave it up to seed for a few weeks or until the EN version comes out.
Word to the wise: Don't put this file on a FAT32 partition or you will loose it. FAT32 only supports 4GB max.
Still waiting on the CD version....
Hosting CD-sized files for free with decent speed is hard enough for remasterizers. Some of us don't have DVD burners either....![]()
My thinking is that if Mr. Knopper moves off of the CD all the developer stuff, as I read that he would, thus leaving more room for end-user apps, then the CD will have significantly more room for applications I might use or need.
The old CD was already pretty complete. Anything missing from the new one, I would be happy to just apt-get. I'm thinking it could not be much that I'd need.
The previous poster brings up an interesting problem: FAT32's 4GB limitations. That's what I use. Hmm. A new wrinkle.
sakiZ
Hello,Originally Posted by sakiZ
Even inside the iso, there is 2 KNOPPIX loop back files joined together with the union file system. This due to a 2GB limit of the iso file system. One way to solve this could be to post these 2 files plus all the other boot files so each individual file is lower than 2gb and use mkisofs | (pipe into) cdrecord (using cygwin) to burn the dvd. Basically you create and burn the iso on the fly without having the temp big iso file on the disk. To replace the boot from the iso being on the hd (what we call the PMI, poor man install), we could probably do it quite easily (will need to modify the linuxrc if not already working) to boot from these two 2GB KNOPPIX & KNOPIX2 loop back files instead of the iso. Duable ...
Cheers,
Gilles

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12
$1599.99
Mixed Brands DDR3 240-Pin DIMM Non-ECC Unbuffered PC3-12800U (10x) Lot
$600.00
Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM
$10.99
Lot of 4 - 16GB 2Rx8 DDR-4 2666V MHz ECC Reg Samsung M393A2K43DB2-CTD6Y Tested
$300.00
Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)
$159.95
Lot Of (22) 4GB DDR3 — ram memory
$149.00
LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)
$129.99
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT
$150.00
Corsair Vengence Pro RGB DDR4 3200 (4x16gb) DRAM Kit
$340.00