Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 130

Thread: Knoppix 4.0

  1. #1
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Knoppix 4.0

    Not actualy out yet, but very close. dakota has sent me a provate message that indicates it will be first released at Linux-Tag in 2 days. abittner has posted this message in the Knoppix-DVD forum. If our experience with 3.8 is any indication, it may be a couple of weeks or more before we see official files on the mirrors or on BitTorrent (I would urge using BitTorrent over the mirrors, particularly for the DVD version.)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    If anyone at LinuxTag gets the Maxi (DVD-ROM) discs, please consider making an ISO & a bittorrent of them & then submitting them to either Welcome to The Linux Mirror Project or LinuxQuestions.org - ISOs so that it can get quickly mirrored.

    * * E D I T * *
    It is only a matter of time before it hits big sites like OSNews or Slashdot (please don't post it there, I would want it well seeded before that.)
    As of 12:15am Eastern, the current ratio is 189:837. Please continue to seed this DVD after you have completed the download.

    I put up some screenshots of Knoppix 4.0 on my site. There are three galleries: One for general Knoppix 4.0 menus & applications. One for the a HD Install (read http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo before attempting). And one for after the HD install.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    53
    I'm ready for knoppix 4.0

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by OP4Latino
    I'm ready for knoppix 4.0
    Unfortunately, I don't think I am. See my post in the Lounge forum.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25
    would it bet legal to make iso out of the cd/dvd and post it publically on the internet? i mean not all the stuff that is on those media is licensed under gpl, such as the knoppix logos and other stuff might need some permissions of the actual copyright holders...

    or am i mistaken here?

    of course knopper as the creator/publisher of knoppix has all the rights to release his knoppix as he choses to and to upload it to the internet, but if he first distributes it on cd/dvd media are we allowed to share it on the net before he choses to do it that way?

    anyone knows the legal details?

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    16
    will the DVD (maxi) version be available for download from the net too?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    Maybe the forum would be redisigned. Now DVD is just a field, but in next times maybe would be useful 2 sections, one for cd and the other for dvd users. I think I will be one of them in the cd section...for a while

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    10

    Features

    Other than being split between a CD and DVD version what other changes are there in the base system and knoppix tools (not just added apps) since 3.9? I am curious because I have just spent quite a bit of time moving my knoppix based distro to 3.9 and need to know if it will be worth it to move to 4.0 or whether I should just wait for 4.1 or 4.2.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Germany, Europe, Planet Earth, Universe
    Posts
    13

    changes

    What I heard is that UnionFS is now working and several enhancements from Knoppix based distributions like Kantonix, Quantian, Paipix, Freeduc ... flowed back into Release 4.0. For example some Hardware support for widely used ISDN and DSL-Hardware from AVM, a enhanced Harddisk-Installer, and so on.
    The DVD-Version is also directly bootable into the software-distributionsystem "m23". They also brought two e-books on it ("Knowing Knoppix" in english and "Knoppix Kompakt" in german). Also if you wish to choose between 4 different offices (OO 2.0 Beta(Build 104), KOffice, Abiword and Gnumeric), you should use Knoppix 4
    So I think you can wait for the next version if you know something else to do while waiting on it...

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1

    Ok its wednesday! Who's got the torrent?

    Anybody that can torrent the 4.0 CD version, I'd appreciate it.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM picture

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM

$320.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung 32GB DDR5-4800 ECC RDIMM 2Rx8 PC5-38400 Server RAM M321R4GA3BB6-CQK picture

Samsung 32GB DDR5-4800 ECC RDIMM 2Rx8 PC5-38400 Server RAM M321R4GA3BB6-CQK

$1099.99



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00