Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 130

Thread: Knoppix 4.0

  1. #101
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    17

    Re: minirt_ntfs.gz for ntfs Knoppix 4.0 HD boot with grldr/g

    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    Hello,
    I just posted the new minirt_ntfs.gz required to boot Knoppix 4.0
    from the ISO DVD being in a NTFS (XP) partition of the HD using grldr (grub).
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...1796&start=240
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
    Please send me some feedback.
    Cheers,
    Gilles
    Hi Gilles,

    is unionfs working reliably in Knoppix 4.0? i.e. with a cheat such as "unionrw" or by mounting a unionfs image file, is one able to update/upgrade/install .debs?

    Thanks in advance?
    Tom

  2. #102
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5

    Delay?

    Just wondering why it's taking so long to release official 4.0 iso's. Thanks for any info!

  3. #103
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Glenview, Illinois
    Posts
    72
    Well, I just installed a DVD recorder in my machine in anticipation of Knoppix 4.0. Can't wait...

  4. #104
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5
    But arn't they also releasing a CD ISO as well?

  5. #105
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21
    Any one know if Knoppix 4.0 "lite" will have 2.6.12?

  6. #106
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Practically all of us here are not Knoppix developers or beta testers, but are just community volunteers. There is no way any of us non-developers can give you more information than what is listed at http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html. Some of the developers do visit these forums but you can contact the Knoppix developers at their mailing list at http://sympa.linuxtag.net/wws.

  7. #107
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    Well I'd prefer the full version now that one is available.

    Nice way to break in my NEC DVD burner on something worth the disk.

    I'm downloading 4.0 via bittorrent and it's very active compared to Libranet which is taking two weeks LOL.

    I'll leave it up to seed for a few weeks or until the EN version comes out.

    Word to the wise: Don't put this file on a FAT32 partition or you will loose it. FAT32 only supports 4GB max.

  8. #108
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Still waiting on the CD version....

    Hosting CD-sized files for free with decent speed is hard enough for remasterizers. Some of us don't have DVD burners either....

  9. #109
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Yeah, the CD version

    My thinking is that if Mr. Knopper moves off of the CD all the developer stuff, as I read that he would, thus leaving more room for end-user apps, then the CD will have significantly more room for applications I might use or need.

    The old CD was already pretty complete. Anything missing from the new one, I would be happy to just apt-get. I'm thinking it could not be much that I'd need.

    The previous poster brings up an interesting problem: FAT32's 4GB limitations. That's what I use. Hmm. A new wrinkle.

    sakiZ

  10. #110
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: Yeah, the CD version

    Quote Originally Posted by sakiZ
    My thinking is that if Mr. Knopper moves off of the CD all the developer stuff, as I read that he would, thus leaving more room for end-user apps, then the CD will have significantly more room for applications I might use or need.
    The old CD was already pretty complete. Anything missing from the new one, I would be happy to just apt-get. I'm thinking it could not be much that I'd need.
    The previous poster brings up an interesting problem: FAT32's 4GB limitations. That's what I use. Hmm. A new wrinkle.
    sakiZ
    Hello,
    Even inside the iso, there is 2 KNOPPIX loop back files joined together with the union file system. This due to a 2GB limit of the iso file system. One way to solve this could be to post these 2 files plus all the other boot files so each individual file is lower than 2gb and use mkisofs | (pipe into) cdrecord (using cygwin) to burn the dvd. Basically you create and burn the iso on the fly without having the temp big iso file on the disk. To replace the boot from the iso being on the hd (what we call the PMI, poor man install), we could probably do it quite easily (will need to modify the linuxrc if not already working) to boot from these two 2GB KNOPPIX & KNOPIX2 loop back files instead of the iso. Duable ...
    Cheers,
    Gilles

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 i7-10610U 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro Excellent picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 i7-10610U 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro Excellent

$249.00



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...

$749.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...

$379.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 Chromebook - 14

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 Chromebook - 14" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - MediaTek Kom...

$189.00



Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI picture

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI

$144.00



Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14

Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14" i5 8365U 16GB NEW 256gb SSD WIN 11 pro CAM WIFI

$249.99