-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
supernix
Just curious why is nobody using something like bearshare or Emule to distribute the DVD what uses English as the default or the other version as well?
Why bearshare or emule? Is there something wrong with bittorrent?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Linux ISO Editing Tool

Originally Posted by
eco2geek

Originally Posted by
UnderScore
Does such a program exist on *nix? To my knowledge, it does not exist.
To my knowledge, it doesn't exist either (although you know more than I do). I was wondering why not myself, since you can use a program like
WinISO to add and delete files from ISO images, without extracting them, and then save the result. In Linux, you can mount an ISO 9660 image, but it's read-only.
Anyway, it's pretty easy to extract the Knoppix CD/DVD, make your changes, and save the results to a new ISO image if you know the "magic incantations" of mkisofs, which are
in the Wiki (use the mkisofs command for Knoppix 3.4), especially if you're not making any changes to the cloop files.
Hi justin_c, UnderScore and eco2geek,
There is a Linux ISO editing tool for use in KDE called KIso and you can find out about it here http://kiso.sourceforge.net/ Maybe it is something worth requesting that this App be added to the Knoppix disk in future although I must say I have not tried it myself.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
eco2geek

Originally Posted by
UnderScore
Does such a program exist on *nix? To my knowledge, it does not exist.
To my knowledge, it doesn't exist either (although you know more than I do). I was wondering why not myself, since you can use a program like
WinISO to add and delete files from ISO images, without extracting them, and then save the result. In Linux, you can mount an ISO 9660 image, but it's read-only.
Anyway, it's pretty easy to extract the Knoppix CD/DVD, make your changes, and save the results to a new ISO image if you know the "magic incantations" of mkisofs, which are
in the Wiki (use the mkisofs command for Knoppix 3.4), especially if you're not making any changes to the cloop files.
Please see my post in customizing and remastering regarding the DVD customizing of isolinux.cfg in the DVD.
-
I just don't seem to get nearly as much speed from the Torrents as I do Emule or BearShare.
I did test the Knoppix 4.0 de though and sadly enough I could not get it to work for printing.
I have a HP deskjet 5100 and it would not work. It is attached to the USB port as well.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
supernix
I just don't seem to get nearly as much speed from the Torrents as I do Emule or BearShare.
Speed, of course, depends on the speed of the site or sites that is sending the file, but if this is an overall true statement including for the Knoppix CD torrents then you're likely not using BitTorrent right. I've talked about how to set BitTorrent up in other threads, but It's straying far off-topic for a NEWS thread on Knoppix 4, so I'm not going to duplicate that information here. Just consider that there may still be things that you could learn and search the forums for recent mention of BitTorrent or research it more on your own.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
-
Junior Member
registered user
Where knoppix 4.0 CD (iso, torrent, rar) can be found. I see everywhere DVD edition but no cd version. Maybe it wasn't released yet ??
-
Senior Member
registered user
Klaus has not released the CD version.....
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
pixelman
There is a Linux ISO editing tool for use in KDE called KIso and you can find out about it here
http://kiso.sourceforge.net/ Maybe it is something worth requesting that this App be added to the Knoppix disk in future although I must say I have not tried it myself.
Thanks for the info -- it wouldn't compile on my Kanotix/Debian Sid box, but it looks very interesting. Maybe it'll make its way into KDE and/or Debian.
-

Originally Posted by
eco2geek

Originally Posted by
pixelman
There is a Linux ISO editing tool for use in KDE called KIso and you can find out about it here
http://kiso.sourceforge.net/ Maybe it is something worth requesting that this App be added to the Knoppix disk in future although I must say I have not tried it myself.
Thanks for the info -- it wouldn't compile on my Kanotix/Debian Sid box, but it looks very interesting. Maybe it'll make its way into KDE and/or Debian.
Did you install all the deps?
This older one installed http://www.podulator.com/debs/kiso/k...0.7-1_i386.deb but for some reason only works with "kdesu kiso"
EDIT: No wonder it needed kdesu. It seems to have added the following to /etc/sudoers:
ALL ALL=NOPASSWD:/bin/mount -o loop* -t iso9660* /home/*/.kisotmp/* ,/bin/umount /home/*/.kisotmp/*
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600
$239.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$339.00

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s
$59.00

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99