-
Administrator
Site Admin-
How shall I migrate to the DVD version?
The DVD version of Knoppix is fast approaching and I just realized that I'm likely to have a problem. How am I going to download and make that new DVD?
I do have a DVD burner, that's not the problem. But it's on my Win98 system. The one with all FAT partitions on the hard disk. The one that can't have files larger than 4 gig. If The Knoppix DVD iso is larger than 4 gig, how am I going to burn it?
I do have XP, but it's on my notebook, with a combo CDRW writer and DVD reader there. Can't make my DVD there. Of course, I can boot Knoppix on the desktop with the DVD writer, but I'll still have the FAT file sizes to deal with.
What should I do? Can I pull off downloading the ISO into XP (unfortunately, I shrunk my NTFS partition to make space for a Linux campatable FAT partition on the small notebook hard disk and don't have enough space for a >4 gig download there now) and somehow burn a DVD with Knoppix from a shared file across the network? That seems like an invitation to buffer underruns, even with burn-proof technology. Or is there an obvious solution I'm missing? I sure don't want to get XP for this old desktop just to burn a Knoppix DVD.
Of course, the first Knoppix DVD iso might be less than 4 gig, but I don't expect it, unless it were done that way exactly because of the problem I've stated. I rather expect though that the focus will be on packing every application they can onto that DVD. I just hope it includes all of the great games that have vanished from the ISO since I saw my first 3.1 version.
Maybe I can figure out a way to shrink a partition on the desktop system and then make a Linux partition that will not have the 4 gig limit. Use Knoppix to download the ISO to it and hope that Knoppix supports my Dual Layer Benq DVD burner. Sure wish that Knoppix contained one of the newer versions of Bittorrent though, the new versions download cleanly for me, the old versions overwhelm my upload capacity and as a result the download grinds to a halt (that will sure be an issue getting a popular DVD size download).
Similar Threads
-
By saman0suke in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-11-2009, 08:25 AM
-
By dpatel512 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-30-2004, 12:34 AM
-
By jmario in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-10-2004, 08:42 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum General Support
Replies: 23
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:12 PM
-
By Juozasg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-01-2003, 03:27 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$144.98

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW
$94.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00