Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Encyclopaedia, WINE and crash

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cologne, Germany
    Posts
    31

    Encyclopaedia, WINE and crash

    I tried running a (Windows) encyclopaedia-CD under Knoppix 3.7 (using WINE) and found that the starter splash-screen was displayed but then the system locked. I couldn't free it so cut the power and tried to reboot. However, the system displayed a command line log-in but wouldn't bring KDE up. So I have two questions ...

    1. Are there any tricks to get these 'encyclopaedia CDs' (deisgned for Windows) running under Knoppix/Linux?

    2. If I do get a lock-up situation and find that the system won't start KDE, how can I reset it and get Knoppix starting normally? Is there a 'safe mode'? Or do I need to log-in at the command line and start KDE from there?

    Any tips on these points would be a great help.

    Many thanks,
    Alan Searle.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    72
    I'm sure the experts will have more to say on this topic, but in nearly 8 months of using Linux I've never had my system completely lockup like that. I'm assuming you're using a hard disk install of Knoppix 3.7? Otherwise a reboot should have cleared everything.

    A couple things that might help:

    First, on the topic of Wine: Wine is an application in constant development. By the time a distro is released, the version of Wine on that distro is old. The version of Wine you have on Knoppix 3.7 is ancient. The first thing I would do is update it to the latest version on the repository (current version on the Debian Sid repository is 20050524 when I last checked) using apt-get or Synaptic. Even this is "old" by Wine standards, but is more current than what you are trying to use. When you are up to the task (I'm just learning now), the way to get the most current version of Wine is to compile it yourself from the CVS resources. I haven't done this yet, but it's on my "to do" list for this week.

    Next you have to make sure you've set up Wine correctly. Older versions of Wine allowed you to use an existing Windoze partition for source .dll's. This lead to problems (and perhaps the source of your problem) and is no longer recommended. Go to http://www.winehq.org and read-up on setting up Wine.

    Another thing about Wine, it usually helps to launch the Windows ".exe" from a terminal window and from the directory where the file resides. Incidently, I've gotten most of my help from the Wine newsgroup "comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine".

    On the topic of application crashes: First, you want to always make sure you are logged in as a normal user when you start experimenting with stuff like Wine. That way if you really foul things up, you can log in as root and either delete the old user or fix it. If an application crashes on me, I'm usually able to "kill" it by pressing: CTRL - ALT - ESC . This brings up a black skull and crossbones cursor and any app that you click on with that will usually immediately clear from the system. This fixes 99% of my crashes. For the other 1% I've had to reboot, but one of the Linux experts might have better ideas.

    Hope this helps

Similar Threads

  1. KDE crash at boot
    By willemijns in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 10:24 AM
  2. Very odd crash
    By Capt. Cautious in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 04:37 AM
  3. X won't autostart after crash
    By slwrider in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 07:46 PM
  4. IRQ crash
    By drg55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-09-2003, 01:57 PM
  5. crash during installation
    By pirozzi in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2003, 12:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HYNIX 64GB (1X64GB) 2RX4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SERVER MEMORY picture

HYNIX 64GB (1X64GB) 2RX4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SERVER MEMORY

$600.00



SK hynix 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 SDRAM PC4-2133P 288-Pin DIMM HMA41GU7AFR8N-TF picture

SK hynix 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 SDRAM PC4-2133P 288-Pin DIMM HMA41GU7AFR8N-TF

$65.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Lot 2x 8GB (16GB) Micron MTA18ASF1G72PZ-2G1A2IK 2133MHz DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory picture

Lot 2x 8GB (16GB) Micron MTA18ASF1G72PZ-2G1A2IK 2133MHz DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory

$69.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM picture

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM

$320.00



M386A8K40CM2-CVF Samsung 64GB PC4-23400 DDR4-2933MHz ECC 4Rx4 1.2V Memory picture

M386A8K40CM2-CVF Samsung 64GB PC4-23400 DDR4-2933MHz ECC 4Rx4 1.2V Memory

$519.99



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$288.19