-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
|enouf|
...and was a bit leary of BitTorrent and if it's possible to get infected (adware/spyware/malware) from using it (as I'm leary of almost all d/l apps). But you've given a lot oif useful info concerning using BitTorrent - just wanted to say all your explanation wasn't done in vain

Thanks. There's been some FUD spread lately (belived by many to have Microsoft behind it because it's recently been identified as another part of the Internet that they ignored and lost control of) about BitTorrent and viruses, trojans, worms and the like. The bottom line is that BitTorrent itself is very safe. However, if you download bad files from dubious trackers and questionable torrents, you can certainly deliver viruses, spyware or worse with BitTorrent just like you can with any other downloading tool. If you download what is supposedly a movie or song but you get an install program and run it, well, shame on you. I use BitTorrent primarily for ISOs. I get them from trusted sources and I still inspect them with a tool like ISOBuster before burning. I often leave BitTorrent up unattended seeding while I'm away from the computer. I feel I'm acting safely.
Don't consider yourself hidden when you download files with BitTorent, even the new "trackerless" version. If you are downloading illegal songs or movies you can still be caught, you are broadcasting your IP address in very trackable ways. But if you use BitTorrent for legal uses and from trusted sources and take normal reasonable precautions, you should be perfectly safe.
I should add that some third party BitTorrent clients do indeed contain adware/spyware or other evil stuff. The original and offical client from BitTorrent.com does not and does not seem likely to in the future. If you elect to use a different client you should at least research if it is known to contain any nasty extras.
Similar Threads
-
By mimes in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-30-2004, 03:05 AM
-
By mimes in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-27-2004, 12:36 AM
-
By drews in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-20-2004, 09:23 AM
-
By stukennedyuk in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-14-2004, 03:41 PM
-
By UselessPython in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-25-2003, 07:44 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A
$89.95

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

MICRON 32Gb 2x 16GB MTA18ASF2G72PDZ 2RX8 PC4-2400T Server Memory Ram
$150.00

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

Lot of 5 - Mixed Brands 40GB (5x8GB) DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Non-ECC
$150.00