Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: can't locate module char - major - 188

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5

    can't locate module char - major - 188

    After creating a configuration file, upon reboot I received the following message during setup:

    cupsysdmodeprobe
    can't locate module char - major - 188

    The config file did not load at all.

    Anyone know what went wrong and how to fix it? Before doing the configuration, I could not access my printer and to get the CUPS running, I did a command to start it in root shell. It worked, but somehow it seems that the configuration is not complete.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    slovenia
    Posts
    15
    I have exactly the same problem. :\

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT 84116 USA
    Posts
    4
    Without knowing what module is needed, you may find more help in /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-xfs/Documentation/devices.txt - all devices for linux are described here.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5
    I found that "188" referred to USB,so I tried booting with nousb but that didn't work. So I solved the boot problem and configuration problem by installing Debian on my 2nd hard disk . I installed LILO and a boot loader (GAG) but the loader can't find the Linux setup unless I boot from the Linux rescue disk created during the Knoppix setup process. Now when I boot to windows, the disk on which I have Linux installed is completely ignored. Is this normal?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Post results of ' fdisk -l '; if you have no fat/ntfs partitions on hdb, yes it will be ignored unless you run something like partition magic.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluejay
    I found that "188" referred to USB,so I tried booting with nousb but that didn't work. So I solved the boot problem and configuration problem by installing Debian on my 2nd hard disk . I installed LILO and a boot loader (GAG) but the loader can't find the Linux setup unless I boot from the Linux rescue disk created during the Knoppix setup process. Now when I boot to windows, the disk on which I have Linux installed is completely ignored. Is this normal?

Similar Threads

  1. modprobe: can't locate module xfs
    By muddled_rosella in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 06:05 AM
  2. can't locate modem
    By Max_Var in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 02:01 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 06:01 PM
  4. module block-major-2 &cardmgr(56) help please
    By ls_linux in forum Laptops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-11-2003, 09:23 PM
  5. Can't locate module server: XF86_SVGA
    By hammy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2003, 02:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16" WUXGA Touch Ryzen 7 8845HS 16GB 512GB SSD FPReader

$571.00



Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray

$356.80



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 Laptop 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 Laptop 14" FHD Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11

$289.99