-
Encyclopaedia, WINE and crash
I tried running a (Windows) encyclopaedia-CD under Knoppix 3.7 (using WINE) and found that the starter splash-screen was displayed but then the system locked. I couldn't free it so cut the power and tried to reboot. However, the system displayed a command line log-in but wouldn't bring KDE up. So I have two questions ...
1. Are there any tricks to get these 'encyclopaedia CDs' (deisgned for Windows) running under Knoppix/Linux?
2. If I do get a lock-up situation and find that the system won't start KDE, how can I reset it and get Knoppix starting normally? Is there a 'safe mode'? Or do I need to log-in at the command line and start KDE from there?
Any tips on these points would be a great help.
Many thanks,
Alan Searle.
Similar Threads
-
By willemijns in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-05-2007, 10:24 AM
-
By Capt. Cautious in forum Knoppix DVD
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-03-2005, 04:37 AM
-
By slwrider in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-14-2005, 07:46 PM
-
By drg55 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-09-2003, 01:57 PM
-
By pirozzi in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-21-2003, 12:13 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage 1980s 1990s Lot of 175 Used PC Computer 5.25" Floppy Disks IBM
$175.00

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X1050 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games
$389.00

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

Vintage Toshiba Libretto 70CT Mini Notebook with Port Replicator and 32MB Memory
$320.00

Vintage Gray AC Power Cable Cord 3-Prong Plug to 3-Prong 3-Slot Connector
$50.00

Vintage Compaq SLT/386s/20 laptop Boots to DOS, power supply, CMOS dead working
$345.00

Vintage Print Artist Platinum PC Software Sierra Home Windows 95 Big Box NEW
$95.99

Vintage Texas Instruments Home Computer TI-99/4A - Games & accessories Untested
$79.95

Vintage Compaq Deskpro 286 AT PC Computer Complete w/Drives Powers On
$189.99