Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: no connection to internet with a T-Ethernet Modem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    4

    no connection to internet with a T-Ethernet Modem

    Hi
    I try to get an internet connection with my Live CD Knoppix 3.3, it finds the ethernet card but cannot find the PPPoE Accsess Contractor (which I guess is the modem Speedtouch 500), so have anyone an idea what I can do?
    I am a newby with this live-cd, but I like the idea, especially to get away from windows sooner or later.

    Thanks for any idea Ferdinand

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    Try ifconfig in terminal and you must see 3 items there: eth0, lo and ppp0. Click on terminal icon in Pannel, than type su, Enter and than type ifconfig. Sometimes cheatcode at boot "acpi=off" helps to find concentrator, which is something at your provider.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    4

    re no connection internet

    Huu I do not know where to find ifconfig in terminal, how can I get to this...?
    Sorry I am realy starting from 0.......

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: no connection to internet with a T-Ethernet Modem

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachinger
    Hi
    I try to get an internet connection with my Live CD Knoppix 3.3, it finds the ethernet card but cannot find the PPPoE Accsess Contractor (which I guess is the modem Speedtouch 500), so have anyone an idea what I can do?
    I am a newby with this live-cd, but I like the idea, especially to get away from windows sooner or later.

    Thanks for any idea Ferdinand
    I'm not going to wast time looking up your modem and trying to guess which options you have.

    If it's USB then skip to another response. Or get a modem with an ethernet connection.

    If it does not have a built-in router (I don't think that model does), then get yourself an inexpensive DSL/Cable router.
    See here for info I've written on this already today.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    4
    Hm the point is this modem is ethernet connected not USB, forgot to write this in...

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334

    Re: re no connection internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachinger
    Huu I do not know where to find ifconfig in terminal, how can I get to this...?
    Click on terminal icon in Pannel, than type su, Enter and than type ifconfig.
    Which modem is yours:

    SpeedTouch 510E Single port ADSL Ethernet router
    SpeedTouch 530 USB / Ethernet ADSL router
    SpeedTouch 510switch Four port ADSL Ethernet router
    SpeedTouch 545 Wireless ready ADSL Ethernet router
    SpeedTouch 570 Wireless ADSL router

    It seems that every of them is router. As Harry said, this is very good.

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    See here for info I've written on this already today.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    4

    no internet connection

    Thanks for the help, now I have possibilitys to try, my modem has no router, but I try to get one and see.
    I am not here for the next days....
    And I realise that working with Knoppix need some time and some knowledge.
    So I will read me in as well.
    By the way knows somebody, what would be a good way to start with?

    Have fun with all what live brings Ferdinand

Similar Threads

  1. newbie - internet with cable modem on ethernet
    By net2surfin in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 05:00 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2006, 01:53 AM
  3. no internet connection (ethernet) with 3.8/3.9
    By babelbrennt in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 05:09 PM
  4. Ethernet install killed modem connection.
    By CptKrf in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 02:35 AM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-30-2003, 03:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99