Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: USB Write Permissions

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2

    USB Write Permissions

    I have booted into a failing windows system using Knoppix and can see the files I need to retrieve.
    I want to copy them off to my USB maxtor drive but when I try to write them down I am being told that I do not have the permissions required.

    Can anyone help me ? Im brand new to all 'nixes

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: USB Write Permissions

    Quote Originally Posted by Conchial
    I have booted into a failing windows system using Knoppix and can see the files I need to retrieve.
    I want to copy them off to my USB maxtor drive but when I try to write them down I am being told that I do not have the permissions required.

    Can anyone help me ? Im brand new to all 'nixes
    Knoppix by default will open partitions as read only. It sounds like you need to change the permission on the USB Maxtor drive to read write.

    THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. DO NOT SKIP PAST IT JUST BECAUSE YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT. If the USB drive has a NTFS partition on it, you will not be able to write to it without corrupting it. If the disk is empty you will need to reformat it. If it has files that you want to keep on it, you will need to back them up somewhere else or simply not use this USB disk. DO NOT try to use Knoppix to write to an NTFS fromatted drive.

    If the Maxtor USB drive has a FAT partition on it, Knoppix can write to it safely. Boot Knoppix. Find the desktop icon for the USB drive FAT partition. Right click on it. Pick the actions ... sub-menu and change the access to read/write.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2
    That makes a lot of sense to me.

    I tried another USB drive with the same result so I am guessing the file system is the most likely culprit.

    Riddle me this , can I format the drive using any OS ? I seem to recall from antiquity that certain media when formatted by windows would routinly fail in other systems , even as fat.

    I appreciate the advice and the warnings.
    I could have lost a few gigs of backups if I had tried to hard to force Knoppix to write to that particular drive.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Conchial
    Riddle me this , can I format the drive using any OS ? I seem to recall from antiquity that certain media when formatted by windows would routinly fail in other systems , even as fat.
    You can reformat it with Windows. You can also reformat it with Knoppix, but I've never done it that way and can't think of a good reason to, except see below.

    One thing to be aware of is that XP will not let you format a large FAT partition. I think the size they limit FAT partitions is 32 gig (but I'm getting ancient and could remember that wrong. There is a rather restrictive limit though.) The solutions are to make multiple FAT partitions, make 1 fat partition and the rest NTFA, or, my choice, use an older version of Windows or a third party partition/format software and make a nice big FAT. XP will still be able to read it fine, it just refuses to create it.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fort Worth,TX USA
    Posts
    2
    You have maybe just saved my hide. I never realized that you can't write (safely) to
    an NTFS formatted drive. I have a question though that may be related. I had a bunch of
    my old Bourne shells on floppys and I was making them compatible with Linux BASH
    and I discovered that BASH had written some of its echo stuff to the shellscript file itself
    so that instead of an updated shellscript I now have a corrupted shellscript on floppy.
    Any comments on that?
    Lannie Walker,Sr

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    51
    Formatting, the USB drive through disk manager in ms-dos, or using partition magic can do great help.
    You can goto a nearby neighbor and ask help to format.

    Sorry, if my comments are weird or offends the ppl here.

Similar Threads

  1. nfs mount with write permissions
    By neorej in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-28-2008, 09:49 AM
  2. Write permissions on root partition
    By cobra_brad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 02:49 AM
  3. Read Write Permissions for HDs from Live CD
    By Curious Dave in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 04:25 AM
  4. Write Permissions for USB Drive
    By DigidocTN in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2006, 02:52 PM
  5. write permissions for ext3 hdd partition
    By redsnake in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2005, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2a 8-Core Ryzen Pro 7 5850U 1.90GHz 512GB SSD 16GB RAM picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2a 8-Core Ryzen Pro 7 5850U 1.90GHz 512GB SSD 16GB RAM

$300.00



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 3 8-Core AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 6850U 2.7GHz 512GB SSD 16GB RAM picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 3 8-Core AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 6850U 2.7GHz 512GB SSD 16GB RAM

$450.00



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD picture

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$250.00



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98