-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: hub vs switch

Originally Posted by
djarum
I have remastered knoppix for use at work,
When i boot connected to a 100 meg hub everthing works,
When I connect the pc to a switch (cisco 2950t24's)
etho doesn't come up...i have intel 10/100 onboard lan.
Does anybody have any idea why this is happening or des anybody know how i can get a cisco port to emulate a hub (i.e duplex settings force 100 meg)
Thanks
Generally a switch is better than a hub, and it should work fine in this case.
I have and use both. Bit the only reason I got the hub was to be able to use programs like Ethereal to "sniff the wire" and examine packets to be able to identify complex network issues. I almost any other case a switch is a better choice. I use switches all the time with knoppix and have seen no problems with any of the ones that I use.
Did you just throw in that top line about remastering Knoppix to add an extra variable to the problem? Does this not also happen with the original Knoppix CD, or are you telling us it is limited to your remaster?
On the assumption that it's not a remastered CD issue, it seems like it is a cisco 2950t24 issue or a cabel issue. I don't know the cisco 2950t24 but you might want to do some reading and be sure that there are no surprises. I would also look closely at your cabels and be sure that all is right. Even if they work with the switch, inspect the cabels closely. For example, I have one switch that will auto sense the cabel and correct for things if a cross over cabel is used. Other switches I have will not do this. So if I were to have a cross over cabel in the mix one of my switches would work fine, but I would have the problem you indicate if I swapped it out with a different switch.
Similar Threads
-
By senorian in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-20-2004, 08:19 PM
-
By bob58 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-23-2004, 05:38 PM
-
By regus in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 03:33 PM
-
By efi360 in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 08-17-2003, 07:52 AM
-
By audioaficionado in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-11-2003, 01:08 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99