-
It seems to be a problem with either how dhcp is "reconized" by the card in linux...
the 2 paths that i have gotten to are that
1. I have one default vlan set up for everthing on my network and knoppix doesn't like the vlan identifier and doesn't know what to do with it , while windows disregards it, if the vlaning is a ciso propitary encapuslation and used only on my cisco switches if I plug a hub into one of my cisco switch ports I am wondering if the switch is smart enough to parse the dhcp request without sending the vlan idenitifer and the linux box works correctly.
2. A portfast setting on the switch ....I am wondering if I am having spanning tree type issuses and turning on portfast on the affected ports would speed up my blocking and transport across my lan.
the linux remaster works like a charm at home on my motorola router/ switch and works on my devel network at work...which is a 24 linksys etherfast plugged into my cisco 2950t's which get dhcp from a pix 515e which sits behind a 3606 cisco router......when i plug directly into my network, bypassing the hub, is when the image doesn't bring up eth0 and that is no good for my end user in this case. Even a sudo netcardcnfig will not get an ip, but plug it back into a hub and I'm fine...
Has anybody ever ran across somthing like this? or have any ideas that I could try.
I know it's not the cable...I used a bunch to test that, and the nic works fine....I know it's the switches or the pix am wondering if anybody has any settings I could try besides the 2 I mentioned above....
Thanks
and harry thanks for mentioning ethereal...I'm going to enable span and try to sniff the port in the morning and see where the negotion bombs out
thanks again
Similar Threads
-
By senorian in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-20-2004, 08:19 PM
-
By bob58 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-23-2004, 05:38 PM
-
By regus in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 03:33 PM
-
By efi360 in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 08-17-2003, 07:52 AM
-
By audioaficionado in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-11-2003, 01:08 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$12.00

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01