-
Questions on glibc, Knoppix, and the Intel Fortran Compiler
Hi. Basic question: I would like to use the Intel Fortran Compiler 8.1 for Linux in Knoppix 3.8.2. Has anyone done this or know that it will work?
(Although from my user name being XPUser1 you could rightfully guess that I am a Windows-XP user, someone recently installed Linux from a Knoppix compact disc for me in a dual-boot arrangement on the Windows-XP-loaded computer.)
Of course I could just try it to find out the answer. In fact I am downloading the 86-megabyte Compiler installation file right now. But with good answers to some preliminary questions I hope one could see if some basic things look good. And it would be helpful to know if it is supposed to work or not. The software requirements for the Compiler used to be found at http://www.intel.com/software/produc...in/sysreq.htm; however, since then I think they have been replaced by the software requirements for version 9.0 of the Compiler, a version I guess to be similar to version 8.1. For version 9.0 of the Compiler glibc is a requirement. I saw that "Knoppix 3.4 comes with glibc" from http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...05/05/2/255494. But for my Knoppix 3.8.2 all I could see of glibc all by itself via Knoppix's "K, System, Kpackage" was the directory /doc/glibc... I didn't find a glibc directory of source code. But I did find directories like /libs/libglib2.0-0 which is called the "The Glib library of C routines," perhaps all capitalized, and /devel/libglib1.2-dev. Are these things that have taken over the function of glibc with glibc itself being absent in Knoppix 3.8.2? (Or have I missed a directory or subdirectory called glibc itself in Knoppix 3.8.2?) If these things have taken the place of glibc, will they work with the Intel Fortran Compiler 8.1 or 9.0 for Linux? Similar things apply to glib, which was listed as a requirement for version 8.1 of the Compiler; yet I don't find a glib directory in my Knoppix 3.8.2 either. That is is there something else which will provide the adequate function of glib for version 8.1 of the Compiler? If the answers to all of these questions are good concerning version 8.1 of the Compiler, then even though RedHat and SuSE versions of Linux were listed as working with version 8.1 of the Compiler, while Knoppix was not, there would appear to me to be a fair chance that version 8.1 of the Compiler would work with Knoppix 3.8.2, which I have. If someone wants to tell me otherwise with supporting evidence, I welcome that.
Similar Threads
-
By mami_hacky in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-18-2006, 10:09 AM
-
By someuser77 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-12-2005, 06:38 PM
-
By giano87 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-19-2004, 02:34 AM
-
By takamine in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-20-2003, 11:41 PM
-
By Dirk in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-08-2003, 05:06 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00