Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix ALSA sound drivers

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    42

    Knoppix ALSA sound drivers

    I have Knoppix 3.8.2 installed on my machine. I've got past the worst of the launch curve (mine and the computer's) but still the sound system boots to OSS which doesn't work fully - especially with MIDI.

    I can run alsaconf, and that fixes it that time, but at next bootup it's back to OSS and I have to run alsaconf all over again.

    I've googled for ways to set it to start in alsa mode, but not found any that I can understand, or that work. Is there an easy way? At the moment, I've put "alsaconf" in bootmisc.sh - that runs it OK but I still have to go through the full Q&A each time. There must be a better way.

    Has anyone any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    42
    After much poking around the machine, I've found that running alsaconf, which makes the sound system work correctly, changes only one item in a /sbin/lsmod
    -before:
    soundcore 11104 4 snd, emu10k1,sound
    - after
    soundcore 11104 1 snd

    but googling and reading forums hasn't revealed what I change so that the machine boots up with soundcore 1 11104 1 snd, or where I can poke that into a batch file.

    Can anyone tell me where to put the command to change that value, and the syntax?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Just an idea, take a look at files named /etc/modules* specifically /etc/modules-2.6.##

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    42
    Thanks - but there was nothing there that looked odd.

    Alsaconf will fix it every time, but has to be run at every bootup. Alsactl won't do it - that tells me there's no soundcard. Another of Linux's little mysteries!

Similar Threads

  1. alsa instead of oss sound drivers
    By Keithj in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2005, 04:17 PM
  2. alsa drivers not loaded
    By toltech in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 11:30 AM
  3. (alsa) Notebook Sound / Strange behavior
    By dbk-gravity in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 10:37 AM
  4. Alsa and CS4237 sound card
    By tw in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 06:24 PM
  5. Notebook sound ES1878 does not work (alsa instead?)
    By cy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2003, 12:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 15.6 i7-1260P 16GB 1TB SSD Laptop FAST SHIP picture

Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 15.6 i7-1260P 16GB 1TB SSD Laptop FAST SHIP

$349.99



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working

$30.00



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB picture

Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB

$160.00