Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Can't navigate file folders

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    42

    Can't navigate file folders

    Can anyone point me to the solution...?

    One minute it worked perfectly - I could click on the hda1 or hbd1 or CDROM or Floppy icon on the desktop, and the relevant folder would open. I could copy and paste, move files around, and do all the file management things I want.

    The next minute, clicking on a file folder on the desktop brings up the message "Sorry - Kdesktop. KDEInit could not launch'/mnt/hda1' " (or whichever drive I click on).

    I tried various actions, none of which fixed it. Rebooting did not bring back the file folder function either. I can get to the folder contents and navigate normally by using File Manager in SuperUser mode, but shouldn't need to do that.

    I've searched the forums and Google but found no answer.

    What do I do to get the file folders back?

    It's Knoppix 3.8.2 installed on the hard drive of an old Pentium 600MHz machine with 512MB of RAM and three hard drives, one CDROM drive, and one floppy drive.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    This is known issue. Unfortunatelly, I forget the solution. I restart Konqueror and it works again, or wait a bit. There is something here http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:e...t+launch&hl=en
    "dont launch it from kwrite as root, instead use kdesu kwrite as a regular user"

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    42
    Thanks for that. I've made the change to menu-xdg as suggested there anyway - I was having the same problem with some changes not being kept after a reboot.

    But I've had the " KDEInit could not launch'/mnt/hda1' " problem for ten days or so, and nothing changes despite many restarts. What I do notice is:

    - Konqueror in su mode can flip up and down the folder tree with no problems;
    - If I set konqueror to open each folder in a new window, it works fine when I click on folders. But if I leave it set to use the same window, I get this problem.

    It's as if konqueror not in su mode didn't have sufficient permissions for something. The main annoyance is that I have all the main folders on the desktop, but can't open them by clicking. I've cheated, and can get there by another way, but it isn't right.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    42
    Lots of frustrating further investigation later, and after a reboot, I tried to open a drive that wasn't "mounted" and got a different error message - "mount - only root can do that". It seems like permissions are screwed up somewhere. I wonder what piece of software needs root permission to mount a hard drive so that I can view the contents. Or has a file somewhere with access rights been corrupted?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    42
    AT LAST! Problem solved. At some point, a file somewhere had got corrupted and Knoppix was trying to use Rosegarden as its file manager for anything clicked from the desktop.

    Control Panel - KDE Components - File Associations - inode - directory and remove Rosegarden, add Konqueror, and all is well. Phew!

    It took a while to find, because "inode" is not a term I know.

Similar Threads

  1. I can't see folders with a non-english font
    By Obscu in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2008, 12:25 PM
  2. Desktop File Folders don't work
    By Keithj in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 05:55 AM
  3. public_html folders
    By Leipe_Po in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 01:34 AM
  4. k3b cannot see files, so I can't navigate to them.
    By sunlion in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 06:36 PM
  5. Opening folders and files
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 01:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$259.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00