Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix desk top not comming up on boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Springfield IL USA
    Posts
    4

    Knoppix desk top not comming up on boot

    I have installed Knoppix on my hard drive it was running great but then it came up at the command prompt and asked to login in I put in my user name and then it asks for the password. Then the command prompt comes up with the log in name an @ sign and then the user name. jrichards@jim. How do I get to the desk top. I am new to linux and have searched the forums, looked at FAQs, hack codes and asked for help at the prompt that brings up several items but none seem to fit what I need. I can list the directory and change to my home directory but can't seem to figure out how to get to the desk top.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Springfield IL USA
    Posts
    4
    Update

    I tried STARTX and got the "Error Server is already active for display 0
    If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
    and start again"

    "giving up"
    "xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
    "xinit: No such process (errno 3): sever error

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    51
    You were half way though.... when u typed startx.
    You must delete the file "/tmp/.X0-lock".

    Code:
    [root@localhost root]#rm /tmp/.X0-lock
    [root@localhost root]#reboot
    OR YOU CAN TRY THIS
    Code:
    [root@localhost root]#rm /tmp/.X0-lock
    [root@localhost root]#startx
    Regards

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Springfield IL USA
    Posts
    4
    I tried to remove the file tried seveal versons of what you have given me but at best I get no response at worst I get an reply of no file found. I am sure you are right about the commands I need. (I am new to linux) but am not sure I am inputting it right. I like knoppic but the learning curve is tuff for me. Please if help if you have any other ideas. If you don't I may have to reload and lose what I have loaded on to it already.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    51
    If the file not found error appears , it means that u have already deleted .X0-lock file.
    Now try startx.

    Sorry for the late reply

Similar Threads

  1. Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot
    By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
  2. installed kanotix to hdb, lost boot option to boot knoppix
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
  3. HP Desk Jet 810C Install Problem
    By qa1433 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 11:56 AM
  4. using knoppix on multi-boot CD's (boot scriptor)
    By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 64GB RAM No Drives/OS Server picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 64GB RAM No Drives/OS Server

$490.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server

$325.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99