Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Rebuild kernel from livecd?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12

    Rebuild kernel from livecd?

    Is it possible to rebuild the kernel from source while running a livecd, insert the new kernel in a copy of the iso and burn a new cd -- without doing a hard disk install?

    If so, I'd be very grateful if someone could point me at a howto.

    Thanks for any help

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12
    Apologies for bumping but I need help!

    1. I've found the CustomKernelHowTo in the wiki - however at the time of my posting that was not there, or at least I couldn't find it. While it explains in detail how to place a new kernel in the iso and build a new livecd - fine - but it says almost nothing about he actual process of recompiling the kernel from source on Knoppix.

    Is the process for Debian using kpkg etc supposed to work "as is" while running a Knoppix live cd? I can't even add the user knoppix to the group src.

    Again, are you supposed to do this on a hard disk install only?

    2. I've also found

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=21477#21477which might help answer my first question.
    Can this be used with a livecd or perhaps pivot-install? What changes would be required to the procedure?

    Note I don't want to install the new kernel to hd necessarily - I want to put it inside the iso and burn a new livecd.

    3. Is it altogether better to install Debian and recompile my kernels on that? I must say a pivot-install looks easier considering I have to keep Windows on my pc.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12
    Forget it. I've installed Debian and will do my compiling on that.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    I have the same problem. I have Knoppix 3.8.1 and have done remastering with it. I could even update everything 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.

    But is it possible to use 2.6.12 kernel with CKO patch http://kem.p.lodz.pl/~peter/cko/?


    -tapsa-

Similar Threads

  1. Does Knoppix LiveCD have smp kernel?
    By vitaly_il in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2005, 06:18 PM
  2. Kernel Rebuild in English???
    By sonny73044 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 05:10 AM
  3. Initrd after kernel rebuild?
    By juerg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 02:45 PM
  4. MPPE needed for PPTP VPN CLIENT=>imposes kernel rebuild ?
    By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 05:30 PM
  5. Can I get knoppix Kernel source and customize? rebuild
    By astormchaser in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 10:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00