Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Screen goes blank with Knoppix 3.9 on Dell Latitude d610

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4

    Screen goes blank with Knoppix 3.9 on Dell Latitude d610

    I try to run the livecd Knoppix 3.9 to make an image of a windowsxp partition on a Dell Latitude d610.

    After the startup screen, with the penguin and the hardware detection info it goes blank. In other words: KDE (or the windows system) doesnt display well.

    I tried different boot options as "desktop=icewm", screen="1400x1050" without success

    I found some info on this machine here:
    - http://home.comcast.net/~canez/d610/
    - http://www.snookles.com/scott/d610/

    The problem is probably the display: 14 inch XSGA+ (1400x1050) display with ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300

    Can I set any boot options to make Knoppix run? Is there a way to run Knoppix in text-only mode? I only need partimage & mount to make that image...

    All suggestions a appreciated.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4

    bumper de bump

    anybody any suggestion for possible boot options that could help me further?

    thanks a lot!

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Screen goes blank with Knoppix 3.9 on Dell Latitude d610

    Quote Originally Posted by batigolix
    Can I set any boot options to make Knoppix run? Is there a way to run Knoppix in text-only mode? I only need partimage & mount to make that image...
    Knoppix can certainly be run in text mode onlt. See the Cheat Codes wiki article reached by the documentation link at the top of this page. I think the cheat code you want is knoppix 2

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2
    alt-f2, alt-f3 or so should give you a command line? or it does not even do that?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    57
    Try lowering the screen resolution to 1280x768 or 800x600.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3
    I am having the same problem with Knoppix 4 and a Dell Latitude D610 with Intel 915 video. Text mode works fine for me, but when X loads, my screen goes blank. Ctrl-Alt-F1 through Ctrl-Alt-F4 change contexts ok, and I can use the command-line interface ok. Params that do not fix the problem:

    fb1400x1050
    fb1280x1024
    fb1024x768
    fb800x600
    screen=1400x1050
    screen=1280x1024
    screen=1024x768
    screen=800x600
    noapci
    noacpi
    acpi=off
    nodma
    hwdetect=off

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3
    I have also tried noagp and nodma, as well as updating the BIOS from A03 to A05, disabling LCD stretch in BIOS. This worked under Knoppix 3.8, but not 3.9 or 4.0, and Whax 3.0 has the same problem as Knoppix 4.0...


  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Thessaloniki, Greece
    Posts
    1
    There's a "workaround" that I've found, which I is quite troublesome itself, but here it is anyway:

    Connect an external monitor to your D610 and then press Fn-F8 twice. The display then works.

    If you however use Alt-Ctrl-Fx (x: a digit other than 5) to switch to another tty, then pressing Alt-Ctrl-F5 to return to the X server display will bring you to the same blank state you started with. You have to repeat the above to fix this once more.

    Please tell me if you have encountered this kind of problem with other linux distributions, or if your distribution works fine. I'm very concerned about what I'm going to install to my laptop.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1
    fb1024x768 with Knoppix DVD 4.0.2 release works fine with my Dell 610.

Similar Threads

  1. Dell Latitude D610
    By mattisz in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 01:48 PM
  2. Stretched screen on Dell Latitude D820 with GeForce 7300??
    By fbarrett in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 09:24 PM
  3. Dell Latitude D610 video problem solved
    By jork in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 05:06 AM
  4. Dell Latitude LS: Screen resolution too high!
    By pandamonium54 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2004, 01:20 AM
  5. Dell Latitude screen scramble!
    By Phredd in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 02:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99