-
KDE won't start
I have a system (Knoppix 3.7) which was working fine but after a dirty shutdown (power cut) won't start KDE. It goes through most of the boot process and gives me a (command line) login prompt but that's it.
I can certainly run things from the command prompt so I was wondering if there is a way to reset the 'broken' system? Or to manually start KDE and then shutdown cleanly?
Any tips would be gratefully received.
Many thanks,
Alan Searle.
-
ksmserverrc delete?
In order to try to get KDE running (i.e. get past the command prompt), I have found recommendations to delete /.kde/share/config/ksmerverrc
This looks like what I need but I find the path/file present in two locations: in /etc/skel/ and /home/myusername/ and so I am not sure which one to delete. I am assuming it is the one in my home directory?
Any tips would be a great help.
Thanks,
Alan Searle
-
I don't have a clue about the answer, but why not rename both - just add "asearle" to the end of the filename. That way, you can soon go back if it proves disastrous. You can clean up the folder later when it's working again.
Similar Threads
-
By hbweb500 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-13-2005, 01:41 AM
-
By pelican in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:07 PM
-
By fasttech in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 10:02 AM
-
By Rhymer in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-11-2003, 10:05 PM
-
By timmd in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-18-2002, 12:54 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

32GB (2x16GB) SK Hynix PC4-2666V DDR4-21300 Desktop Memory HMA82GU6JJR8N-VK
$109.99

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

Micron 64GB PC4-2666V (2 X 64GB) DDR4-2666 LRDIMM Memory
$580.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW
$1.39

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON
$149.99