Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: KDE won't start

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cologne, Germany
    Posts
    31

    KDE won't start

    I have a system (Knoppix 3.7) which was working fine but after a dirty shutdown (power cut) won't start KDE. It goes through most of the boot process and gives me a (command line) login prompt but that's it.

    I can certainly run things from the command prompt so I was wondering if there is a way to reset the 'broken' system? Or to manually start KDE and then shutdown cleanly?

    Any tips would be gratefully received.

    Many thanks,
    Alan Searle.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cologne, Germany
    Posts
    31

    ksmserverrc delete?

    In order to try to get KDE running (i.e. get past the command prompt), I have found recommendations to delete /.kde/share/config/ksmerverrc

    This looks like what I need but I find the path/file present in two locations: in /etc/skel/ and /home/myusername/ and so I am not sure which one to delete. I am assuming it is the one in my home directory?

    Any tips would be a great help.

    Thanks,
    Alan Searle

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    42
    I don't have a clue about the answer, but why not rename both - just add "asearle" to the end of the filename. That way, you can soon go back if it proves disastrous. You can clean up the folder later when it's working again.

Similar Threads

  1. Start X11...
    By hbweb500 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 01:41 AM
  2. How do I start nfs?
    By pelican in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:07 PM
  3. Can't Start X11?
    By fasttech in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 10:02 AM
  4. Where do I start??
    By Rhymer in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 10:05 PM
  5. KDE no start
    By timmd in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2002, 12:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



Dell 01M71J PERC H740P 12Gbps PCI-E SAS RAID Controller 1M71J picture

Dell 01M71J PERC H740P 12Gbps PCI-E SAS RAID Controller 1M71J

$70.00



2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA HDD/SSD External Hard Drive, USB 3

$59.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN picture

Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN

$55.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell Perc H755 12G 8G Raid Controller w/Battery & Low Profile Bracket 29XMF picture

Dell Perc H755 12G 8G Raid Controller w/Battery & Low Profile Bracket 29XMF

$1049.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00