Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Installed CodeWeavers. Can I Delete Wine?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Installed CodeWeavers. Can I Delete Wine?

    I decided I wanted a bit better Windows support so I installed Codeweavers.

    My question is this: Can I now safely delete Wine?

    Or does Codeweavers use the Wine install?

    sakiZ

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    Codeweavers uses its own instance of wine. It doesn't hurt anything to leave both versions on. (in my experience).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a house... hopefully
    Posts
    554
    leaving both versions will give you a choice on which one to use... for instance, if one app works faster in one then the other, but another app works faster in the other then the one...

    it two words...

    it'll-be-good-to-have-a choice-in-what-program-you-want-to-use

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Thanks for replys!

    OK, I can see the logic of having both Codeweaver and Wine both.

    Looking down the road a ways I had it in my head that if I could delete Wine, it might be get me down to a HD install size that I could remaster my own version of "sakiZ Knoppix"

    I would have to get a new additional HD to do that so, it's not an immediate concern.

    That is essentially the only reason why I was asking.

    sakiZ

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Codeweavers file association discovery!

    I've been playing around with Codeweavers. I discovered that you can configure it to have all .EXE files associated with it.

    You go into the file associations menu and scroll all the way to the bottom to the last entry, wheres it give you that option.

    Now any .EXE file I click on is opened by Codeweavers instead of Wine. All exe files now have a Codeweavers icon instead of a Wine icon. All the programs that could run in Wine are running in Codeweavers.

    The old wine is seeming more redundant than ever. If I get brave I may apt-get remove Wine.

    sakiZ

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Wine Gone! 100% Codeweavers!

    I got an email from the Codeweavers tech rep who assured me I could either keep Wine or remove it at my descretion. Since Codeweavers runs everything Wine does, I decided to go ahead.

    I did this, using Synaptic, thus more easily identifying all the Wine packages to be removed.

    After that, I merely had to change all EXE associations to look to Codeweavers alone - removing the Wine one.

    That freed up a net of close to 30 megs of disk space.

    Codeweavers has successfully installed Photoshop and Windows Media Player 6.2.

    sakiZ

Similar Threads

  1. Delete
    By Dalixam in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 05:16 PM
  2. Knoppix Succesfully installed but grub installed in root
    By param85047 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2006, 03:31 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2006, 11:30 PM
  4. delete
    By zenok in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 08:58 PM
  5. Please Delete
    By goudiemark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 06:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



Compo MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC LGA1151 16 Gb DDR4 + Cpu I7 6700+I/O Shields. picture

Compo MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC LGA1151 16 Gb DDR4 + Cpu I7 6700+I/O Shields.

$159.00



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99