Codeweavers uses its own instance of wine. It doesn't hurt anything to leave both versions on. (in my experience).
I decided I wanted a bit better Windows support so I installed Codeweavers.
My question is this: Can I now safely delete Wine?
Or does Codeweavers use the Wine install?
sakiZ
Codeweavers uses its own instance of wine. It doesn't hurt anything to leave both versions on. (in my experience).
leaving both versions will give you a choice on which one to use... for instance, if one app works faster in one then the other, but another app works faster in the other then the one...
it two words...
it'll-be-good-to-have-a choice-in-what-program-you-want-to-use
OK, I can see the logic of having both Codeweaver and Wine both.
Looking down the road a ways I had it in my head that if I could delete Wine, it might be get me down to a HD install size that I could remaster my own version of "sakiZ Knoppix"
I would have to get a new additional HD to do that so, it's not an immediate concern.
That is essentially the only reason why I was asking.
sakiZ
I've been playing around with Codeweavers. I discovered that you can configure it to have all .EXE files associated with it.
You go into the file associations menu and scroll all the way to the bottom to the last entry, wheres it give you that option.
Now any .EXE file I click on is opened by Codeweavers instead of Wine. All exe files now have a Codeweavers icon instead of a Wine icon. All the programs that could run in Wine are running in Codeweavers.
The old wine is seeming more redundant than ever. If I get brave I may apt-get remove Wine.
sakiZ
I got an email from the Codeweavers tech rep who assured me I could either keep Wine or remove it at my descretion. Since Codeweavers runs everything Wine does, I decided to go ahead.
I did this, using Synaptic, thus more easily identifying all the Wine packages to be removed.
After that, I merely had to change all EXE associations to look to Codeweavers alone - removing the Wine one.
That freed up a net of close to 30 megs of disk space.
Codeweavers has successfully installed Photoshop and Windows Media Player 6.2.
sakiZ

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset)
$18.99
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD
$14.99
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$714.99
KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00