-
Read only partition image of CD?
Hello,
Not totally new to Linux flavors, and toyed with a few variants of Knoppix, but...
I like the "safety" of a live CD but the speed of HD access. The new unionfs is great. Is it possible to copy an image of the Live CD into a read-only partition and tell any boot loader to look for the CD image there? I'm thinking of two partitions-one for the safe files, one for the usual saved configuratiion and programs I'm "testing" but don't want them to affect my "happy with it" version. Does this make sense?
And I know USB is faster, but I dont want a dongle dangling where it can get damaged. Maybe just mounting an iso image is possible, but I'd like the guarantee that any old crap that I happen to be messing things up with invariably has ZERO access to my "happy with it " image/partition/CD.
Hope it makes sense and I'm not missing something obvious...
thanks
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$94.95