Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Editor for f2 f3 files...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3

    Editor for f2 f3 files...

    Hi everybody,

    My question is very simple (if it has already been refered, i'm confused but i don't find... even with the magic "search" button) :
    Here it is : What is the "first" editor to create f2, f3 and boot.msg files ?
    I know i can edit them with i simple text editor
    but i just want to know how it works to create them and to have these particular characters...

    Thanks

  2. #2
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "create" them. If you are referring to how to make them work from the boot menu, so that when you press F2 on your keyboard it displays the f2.txt file, that would be the isolinux config file. If you have a remaster directory setup, you can find isolinux.cfg in remaster_dir/KNOPPIX.build/Knoppix.Master/KNOPPIX-CUSTOM/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg.

    If that's not what you mean, please try re-stating your question.

    HTH,
    Jacob

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by stormspotter
    If that's not what you mean, please try re-stating your question.
    Hi,
    I realized my question wasn't very clear... so confused
    I know i can edit these files with a simple text editor... but i want to change specials characters in those files.
    (My goal is to make a french localized Live-CD)
    So i think these specials files are only readables by the soft "isolinux".
    But... how are they encoded ?
    Am i clearer now ??? I do not know

  4. #4
    So you want to change one of the commands listed in F2 or F3 to a French localized command, and you want it to work when a user types the French version at the boot prompt, instead of requiring them to type the English equivalent?

    I would give some examples, except that I don't know French, so I would either end up confusing both of us or I would make a complete fool of myself.

    If you can list an example of what you want it to do, that would be helpful. Also, do you simply want to change the boot options, or do you want to change which language and keymap it uses at boot time as well?

    HTH,
    Jacob

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I might be very wrong but I will try.
    I think the f2 & f3 menu like graphics are really just extended ASCII Display Characters such as those found at http://www.jimprice.com/jim-asc.htm

    My guess seems to be confirmed by http://syslinux.zytor.com/faq.php
    { What is the DISPLAY File Format? }

    DISPLAY and function-key help files are text files in either DOS or UNIX format (with or without <CR>). In addition, the following special codes are interpreted: .........

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    I might be very wrong but I will try.
    I think the f2 & f3 menu like graphics are really just extended ASCII Display Characters such as those found at http://www.jimprice.com/jim-asc.htm

    My guess seems to be confirmed by http://syslinux.zytor.com/faq.php
    { What is the DISPLAY File Format? }

    DISPLAY and function-key help files are text files in either DOS or UNIX format (with or without <CR>). In addition, the following special codes are interpreted: .........
    Yes, exactly !
    It's just what i wanted to know ! thanks ! Merci ! Danke schön ! Gracias ! ...

Similar Threads

  1. gui iso editor
    By mig21 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-16-2006, 02:31 AM
  2. html editor
    By brass in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2006, 07:22 PM
  3. [PHP] Which editor do you use?
    By Coume in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 09:27 PM
  4. C++ Editor?
    By Mr. Chopper in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 10:56 AM
  5. ISOs and hex-editor
    By oscar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 07:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core 3.40GHz Socket AM4 CPU 32MB L3 Cache picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core 3.40GHz Socket AM4 CPU 32MB L3 Cache

$174.00



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT picture

Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT

$129.95



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



Dell Latitude 5420 14

Dell Latitude 5420 14" - Core i5-1145G7 - 8GB - 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro - WARRANTY

$276.35



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00