Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Booting problem: "Can't find Knoppix filesystem"

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2

    Booting problem: "Can't find Knoppix filesystem"

    I am completely new to Linux, but thought I'd have a try how it feels and then maybe switch to it.
    However even my first trial didn't work.
    I use XP Home SP2

    When the computer boots on the Knoppix 3.7 CD I get the first screen with the two pinguins on top and then the following message:

    Code:
    Welcome to the KNOPPIX live Linux-on-CD
    
    Scanning for  USB/Firewall devices - done
    Enabling DMA acceleration for hda  [HL-DT-STDVDRRW GWA-4161B]
    Enabling DMA acceleration for hdd  [CD-RW CR52]
    Enabling DMA acceleration for hdg  [Samsung SP1213C]
    Accessing KNOPPIX CD ROM on dev/scdo.../modules/cloop.o: init module:
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
    Can't find Knoppix filesystem, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
    Press reset button to quit.
    Additional built-in commands available:
           cat          mount      umount
           insmod    rmmod     lsmod
    Knoppix#
    I would really like to try out Linux.
    If anyone has any ideas what to do, please let me know.
    Please remember that I'm not familiar with Linux commands.

    Thanks
    Joey

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Try booting with some cheat codes:
    knoppix nodma
    knoppix acpi=off

    Its is probably the DMA which is turned on by default that is causing the problems.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    I have the same problem.
    I boot from an external usb cdrom, and get the same error message, Knoppix 3.9.
    How can I boot with Knoppix?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1

    Same issue with an IBM T43...

    I'm getting the same issue upon boot. But I believe it's due to the 2.6 kernel.

    The guide here (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Instal...a_Thinkpad_T43) states that you should boot with a 2.4 kernel - my problem is I can't figure out how to specify the 2.4 kernel.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2

    Thanks Unders. "nodma" worked. But I got connectio

    Underscore - thanks
    For me "nodma" worked just fine and Linux booted without further problems.... that is, no booting problems.
    I still got other problems though, that stop me from using Linux so far: I can't get the internet connection to work, but I guess that's for another forum on this site.
    I tried the ADSL/PPP config application under "system" but it doesn't seem to be able to activate my modem. Another aplication under "Internet" that looks for hardware found just "etc0" whatever that means. But that didn't get me much further.
    I use an external USB ADSL modem and I get the feeling that the problem is not the connection to my provider, but before that - that my modem isn't recognized.
    Then again, I don't know enough about Linux to know how I can find out what exactly IS the problem. How does one check if hardware is recognized and properly installed? (Where in the "device manager" of Windows). How do I check if the problem is the modem instalation or the connection?
    Thanks for any further help.

Similar Threads

  1. "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry" - Acer Aspi
    By ngc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2008, 12:37 PM
  2. USB: "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry." Worka
    By docduke in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2008, 03:20 PM
  3. "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry" on a Gigaby
    By jorupp in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2006, 06:19 PM
  4. "cant find knoppix filesystem" error
    By redss in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-26-2005, 05:11 AM
  5. "Can't find Knoppix filesystem." ... "limited
    By lothario in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2005, 08:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX picture

Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX

$14.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640

$39.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99