Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Mounting harddisk?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3

    Mounting harddisk?

    Hey,
    I just installed Knoppix v3.9, because my Windows XP was not working correctly (problem with the SOFTWARE register file).

    It installed successfully, and my main goal is to backup the data on the internal laptop harddisk.
    When I click on either of the two partitions of the HD, it says "mounting" and a bar with a percentage sign. I clicked the X here, because I didn't know what it was doing. What is this prossess doing?

    I also got a USB harddisk connected, and I could access that one without doing the mounting thingy.

    Can anyone explain what this feature does?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    51
    In other distros mounting can be done mostly through command line or during startup sequence in the fstab file.
    But in some new distros it can be done by using right click --> Mount or right click-->actions-->mount
    In knoppix the former method or simply clicking (left click) on the partition will activate the partition after mounting it only.
    In knoppix we can't see the mounting process becoz we are in gui, in command prompt we can mount hda1 using the command

    Code:
    root@localhost root $ mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    "/dev" is the devices folder, and "/mnt" is mount point or mount folder.

    In Linux hard disk drive is identified as hda ---> primary master, hdb ---> primary slave, hdc ---> secondary master , hdd ---> secondary slave.

    Definition for mount , is given as "the act of making the filesystem accessible to the users/owners".(Mostly using the /etc/fstab file in startup sequence)

    Mountpoint is the place where the mounted drives/files/anything can be viewed("anything" since everything in linux is a file) Its mandatory to create appropriate folders to mount the drives/partitions/anything.

    You might also want to view this page about mount ===> http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/linux/...p?path=m/mount

    Other devices and filesystem details can be searched @ http://www.google.com/linux

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Mounting harddisk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenfjord
    Hey,
    I just installed Knoppix v3.9, because my Windows XP was not working correctly (problem with the SOFTWARE register file).

    It installed successfully, and my main goal is to backup the data on the internal laptop harddisk.
    Knoppix is intended to run from the Live CD. Installing it is not always wise and certainly not something that needed to be or should have been done for a data recovery opeation. Just the opposite, installing Knoppix is a very bad idea when you are dealing with disk problems and trying to recover as much as you can from the hard disk.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3
    Sorry, I've given a bit of wrong information.
    I have infact NOT installed Knoppix on my system. It is running from the boot CD.

    I'm now trying to access the NTFS partitions on the harddisk so save some of the data.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenfjord
    Sorry, I've given a bit of wrong information.
    I have infact NOT installed Knoppix on my system. It is running from the boot CD.

    I'm now trying to access the NTFS partitions on the harddisk so save some of the data.
    I was wondering how you got the space to install it if you had disk problems, but figured that you resolved that.

    Your problem isn't really a hdd install then. I'll move it to the General forum so that more people that can help might see it. Strange, I complain to people all the time that their posts belong in the HDD forum, it seems lately that the only people who post here (rather than get moved here) don't really belong here!

Similar Threads

  1. Add new harddisk to have more storage
    By Worm666 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 10:08 AM
  2. How to disable harddisk mounting rights?
    By lowhweekiat in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 01:13 PM
  3. USB Harddisk
    By chessweb in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2006, 09:21 PM
  4. Cloning a harddisk
    By Balaam in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 12:34 PM
  5. USB harddisk
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 06:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$90.00



Apple Power Macintosh 6100/60AV M1596 Vintage picture

Apple Power Macintosh 6100/60AV M1596 Vintage

$129.99



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Macintosh Classic M1420 Apple Computer 1990 Vintage, Powers On picture

Macintosh Classic M1420 Apple Computer 1990 Vintage, Powers On

$149.99



Vtg Apple Macintosh SE SuperDrive (FDHD) Computer Boots to Desktop Sold AS IS picture

Vtg Apple Macintosh SE SuperDrive (FDHD) Computer Boots to Desktop Sold AS IS

$140.00



Vintage Retro Apple Logic Board MAC IIFX 661-0522 820-0282-B 1990 Motherboard + picture

Vintage Retro Apple Logic Board MAC IIFX 661-0522 820-0282-B 1990 Motherboard +

$399.95



APPLE MACINTOSH SE M5011 1986 VINTAGE DESKTOP COMPUTER POWERS ON DISPLAY WORKS picture

APPLE MACINTOSH SE M5011 1986 VINTAGE DESKTOP COMPUTER POWERS ON DISPLAY WORKS

$159.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh Quadra 950 w/ Key - (FOR PARTS) picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Quadra 950 w/ Key - (FOR PARTS)

$199.90



Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage picture

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage

$224.10



Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video picture

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video

$225.00