-
HDD Install won´t boot (Grub in root partition:-( )
Hi,
I installed Knoppix 3.9 on hda3 in the "Beginner"-Mode (i think). I decided not to install Grub in the mbr, because i was afraid of losing my Win XP-Installation. "Grub-MBR-Install" sounds really dangerous...
Is there any way to install Grub to the mbr yet? Or do i have to run the whole install-script again?
weirdjd
-
Senior Member
registered user
A HD install of Knoppix is not recommended as it is not easy to support if you are not an expert or do not want to become an expert. See http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo
I assume that your C: drive is partition hda1 & your Linux install partition is hda2 is using the ext3fs filesystem.
Boot the Knoppix 3.9 CD. In a konsole window, at the command prompt, mount the hda2 partition.
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
Then you must check to see if the grub boot menu exists.
sudo kate /mnt/hda2/boot/grub/menu.lst
If it doesn't, well it is probably easier to run through the whole install again. If it does exist then you can proceed. You will chroot into the /mnt/hda2.
sudo chroot /mnt/hda2/ /bin/bash
If that is successful then then run grub-install & apply grub to the MBR.
grub-installer /dev/hda
If that is successful, type exit:
exit
Then unmount the /mnt/hda2.
sudo umount /mnt/hda2
Then reboot knoppix via the GUI or with the command:
sudo init 6
if you have any problems with this, then please leave detailed info & questions.
I hope this helps.
James
-
thanx
I know, I know... it's a live-cd. I thought i could speed it up a little.
I tried the persitent-image-thing - and it works. Thats enough for the moment. I will try to install a real Debian during the semester break.
Thanks anyway.
weirdjd
Similar Threads
-
By ramaswamyps in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 03-15-2006, 07:40 PM
-
By cli168 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-20-2005, 03:57 AM
-
By markb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-19-2004, 03:37 AM
-
By xaviers2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-04-2004, 08:13 PM
-
By nuke in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-09-2003, 03:26 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$53.99

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC
$34.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1 - Tested -98% Life
$48.00

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99