Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: NOT BOOTING

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5

    NOT BOOTING

    When I fix the bios to boot on CD ROM, I have the Knoppix CD in. I see the lights on the CDROM that means its reading it, but then after a while it just goes back to my windows boot page.


    My Goal:
    To run linux with Windows Xp.

    Currently all space is allocated to Windows. I have partition magic so I can install linux. I have not partition the drive yet, but wanted to make sure the boot cd worked before i did.

    I have 80gig harddrive. I want to try out linux, but I will mostly use windows. My idea of partition will be:
    Primary Windows 75gigs
    Linux 4gigs
    Swap 400mb.



    I am a total Linux Newbie so be easy on me

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: NOT BOOTING

    Quote Originally Posted by Matabus
    When I fix the bios to boot on CD ROM, I have the Knoppix CD in. I see the lights on the CDROM that means its reading it, but then after a while it just goes back to my windows boot page.
    You don't say anything about how you made the CD. Did you follow the instructtions in the downloading faq (reached by the documentation link at the top of this page) and burn it as an image, and at a slow speed like 4x? If you downloaded from a mirror did you check the md5 sum? (This is very important, don't skip over it just because you don't recognize what md5 means.) My bet is that you just have one big iso file sitting on that CD, but people have found any number of ways to burn the ISO file incorrectly.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5
    Actually, I burned it as an image on Alchol 120%. And the Linux Boot did come up a few times. After positng here I attempted again and again. Finally the Linux In Use Splash came up.

    the line that was stuck was accesing cd ....

    then my CD ROM started making loud Reading Sound. I left it for a while since my cd rom is kinda old its a 16x read, i figure it would take some time. But it didnt, I restart my comp and attempted to boot again, but failed went straight to my Windows.

    I got in one more time and accessed the F2 function, but didnt know what to do, so I restarted.

    Is there a way once I get in the boot, to transfer the data somewhere so it reads it there instead of my slow cdrom?

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Matabus
    Is there a way once I get in the boot, to transfer the data somewhere so it reads it there instead of my slow cdrom?
    You can use toram cheat code if you have more than 1GB of RAM

    or you can have the iso file in any partition in your computer and use bootfrom

    Code:
    toram 
        Copy CD to RAM and run from there. Version 2003-09-05 and later. 
    
    
    tohd 
        You can now do a "poor mans install" on vfat and ext2-Partitions with, knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1 Version 2003-09-22 and later. 
    
    
    fromhd 
        With this cheatcode the CD-Roms are ignored, so you can finally boot your "poor mans install" with just the original cdrom. Version 2003-09-05 and later. note - Cheatcode "toram" and "fromhd" work now together. Usage fromhd=/dev/hda1. 
    
    
    bootfrom=/dev/hda1 
        Access Image then boot from previously copied CD-Image (enables booting from NTFS / ReiserFS) - Knoppix V3.4 
    
    
    bootfrom=/dev/hda1/KNX.iso 
        Access image, boot from ISO-Image. - Knoppix V3.4 
    
        NOTE: bootfrom needs access to a running Knoppix-System with the same Kernel as the Bootkernel, before it is able to mount the partition / ISO-Image. This should allow a poor mans install from NTFS-Partitions and makes it also possible to boot an ISO-Image directly. You can also use wildcards in the ISO-Filename, but it must be unique. So: If you have just one KNOPPIX.iso on /dev/hda1 you can access it as: bootfrom=/dev/hda1/K*.iso, but if there are several, you need to make clear, which one you want. (Feature added by Fabian Franz.) 
    
        CAUTION: The 2.4 kernel that is in the KNOPPIX 3.4 CD does not support the ext3 filesystem so make sure that the ISO is stored in an ext2 filesystem.
    You can read how to use cheats at: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes[b]

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    19
    I've had this problem before!
    to fix, I just put knoppix nodma
    good luck!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Matabus
    Actually, I burned it as an image on Alchol 120%. And the Linux Boot did come up a few times. After positng here I attempted again and again. Finally the Linux In Use Splash came up.

    the line that was stuck was accesing cd ....

    then my CD ROM started making loud Reading Sound. I left it for a while since my cd rom is kinda old its a 16x read, i figure it would take some time. But it didnt, I restart my comp and attempted to boot again, but failed went straight to my Windows.

    I got in one more time and accessed the F2 function, but didnt know what to do, so I restarted.
    If you only intermittently get a boot screen, then chances are you have a bad burn. That is, either the ISO was bad, the CD was bad, or both. Try downloading a new ISO, verifying the md5sum, and burning a new CD at slow speed, <8x.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matabus
    Is there a way once I get in the boot, to transfer the data somewhere so it reads it there instead of my slow cdrom?
    Yes, but that's not going to help if the ISO you downloaded and burned to CD is bad.

    Let us know how things go.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

Similar Threads

  1. Problems booting. freezes when booting
    By jtsymbo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:08 AM
  2. Booting booting... CRASH
    By mortfrog in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 06:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1694.85



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$427.48



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$15.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$441.77



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Acer Aspire 16 16

Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished

$519.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$288.98



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00