Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Unable to mount NTFS partitions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3

    Unable to mount NTFS partitions

    Hey,
    I'm currently using Knoppix v3.9 because my Windows XP went crazy.

    I want to backup the data on the harddisk before I do a format. I tried leftclicking on the two partitions of the harddisk on the desktop, but after a minute it shows me this message for partition nr. 1:

    Could not mount device.
    The reported error was:
    mount: /dev/hda1: can't read superblock


    And this error for partition nr. 2:

    Could not mount device.
    The reported error was:
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda2,
    missing codepage or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so


    Any idea what is going on? What can I do to access the partitions and save my files?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92
    I believe you would need to use the "Captive NTFS" utility;
    Click the Penguin on the Kmenu (QuickLaunch?) bar..point to Utilities | select Captive NTFS

    All I can say is - AFAIK Linux doesn't write to NTFS partitions, but copying data over to say CD/DVD (ISO-9660) shouldn't be a problem...if using FAT/FAT32 no prob, just also know that the XP CDROM won't allow over 32GB FAT32 partitions to be made, but an updated FDISK, free from MS can, as well as I'm sure there are quite a few others that can as well, like FreeDOS, etc.

    So if using Knoppix to copy over data to another partition, (and it's too much data to burn) and you'd like that data eventually accessible from Windows 2K/XP, I guess better create FAT32 partitions to Copy to, then XP won't have a problem seeing/copying/reading/writing it - as 2K/XP can use/see/read/write FAT32, as well as NTFS...and will convert that data back to NTFS once you have XP up and running again (if you decided to use NTFS for XP).

    I haven't personally had to try and recover NTFS partitions yet using knoppix , but here's a little tutorial that may help;
    http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

    *edit;
    would someone much more familiar with actual recovery plz review the link I posted for any mis-information (and plz feel free to correct any of my comments) - as I think I see some conflicting comments (or just typos) written in the link I posted (not sure) - one such being this statement;

    3.7
    [...]
    Right click on the drive or partition icon again. If there is an item in the menu called "Unmount" select it.
    I think it should say the opposite

    TIA all

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Knoppix 3.8.x or 3.9 does not have Captive NTFS

    You may need to use dd_rescue or a third party tool like Norton Utilities.

    Save Your Data from the "Click of Death" http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5205
    dd_rescue http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/
    dd_rhelp http://www.kalysto.ath.cx/utilities/.../index.en.html

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    Knoppix 3.8.x or 3.9 does not have Captive NTFS

    You may need to use dd_rescue or a third party tool like Norton Utilities.

    Save Your Data from the "Click of Death" http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5205
    dd_rescue http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/
    dd_rhelp http://www.kalysto.ath.cx/utilities/.../index.en.html
    ...hmmmm
    I do only use 3.6 for now - I hadn't realized it was removed
    Any particular reason it's missing? ..like perhaps it doesn't work ? -- it would seem to be a very useful tool for recovering NTFS partitions if it did work.

    If it does work - can you perhaps review my *edited comments in my last post

    thanks

    p.s. .also - more recently - someone familiar with linux posted this link;
    http://www.sysresccd.org/
    comments?

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to mount NTFS permanentaly
    By jentybhullar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2006, 06:34 AM
  2. Unable to mount RAID 0 NTFS
    By Subblue586 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-22-2006, 10:43 PM
  3. unable to mount and read hard disk partitions.
    By mersonmathew in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 04:36 PM
  4. unable to write to NTFS with captive-ntfs
    By harry66 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 05:03 PM
  5. How do you mount and read ntfs partitions?
    By Thaidog in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 02:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate 3.5

Seagate 3.5" Desktop HDD 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 1ER166-510

$39.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5

Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s HDD | PC DVR CCTV | | 1Y

$55.95