I'm looking to free up memory because vegastrike runs like a snail (pause up to 15 seconds to respond to mouse movement or click) under Knoppix (why bother to include it?). With only 200 MB out of 1 GB RAM available as memory, I'm assuming that low memory availability is the cause (even though I have a 500 MB USB swap file). Response is much faster in the windows version of vegastrike (but it crashes very quickly after startup).

I'm running the Knoppix 4.02 DVD (no HD install). The ramdisk_size boot option doesn't affect the size of the ramdisk created in the linuxrc script, so that didn't help. Based on the discussion of the linuxrc script, this looks like a messy remastering job.

I'm assuming there's no way to umount and mount the ramdisk under a new size while the system is running. It certainly sounds like an invitation to crash unionfs and the OS if we do that.