Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Cd rom is not recognizing music cd's

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    49

    Cd rom is not recognizing music cd's

    ok the cd rom doesn't appear when i put in the tray a music cd , how can i fix this? please help me , thankls!


    im using Knoppix 3.9

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45
    I'm trying to get the same information, see the topic"Woes Using CD's".

    Can you see data CDs, and not just music CD's?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You can't mount and browse an audio cd as there is no filesystem on it. Thus you can only mount data cds.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45

    Re: Cd rom is not recognizing music cd's

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith01
    ok the cd rom doesn't appear when i put in the tray a music cd , how can i fix this? please help me , thankls!


    im using Knoppix 3.9
    Going along with Markus here, can you play the CD with xmms, or kscd?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    49
    no i can't i can only see them with k3b but can't play em

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I take it you mean that you can mount data cd's, and couldn't play a cd with kscd either.
    Here's my settings for kscd:
    Code:
    Extras
    	Configure kscd
    		CD Player
    			CD-ROM Device
    				/dev/cdrom
    				Check: Use direct digital playback
    and for xmms:
    Code:
    xmms -> options -> preferences
    Input plugins
    	AudioCD Reader
    		Check: Enable Plugin
    		Configure
    			Options
    				Default CD Device: /dev/hdc (do "dmesg |grep CD" to find it)
    			Output
    				Play Audio CD Directly
    				Volume setting
    					CDROM drive
    	CD Audio Player
    		Configure
    			Device: /dev/hdc
    			Directory: /cdrom/ (use your mountpoint as in /etc/fstab)
    			Play mode: Digital audio extraction
    Output Plugin
    	Alsa (choose OSS if you use it)
    		Configure
    			Device settings
    				Audio device:
    					hw:0,0
    				Mixer:
    					Check: Use software volume control

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    42
    I had the same problem, and nobody could answer what to do. Eventually I got it working after much messing with downloads and stuff.

    It works now with KSCD.

    I've just waded throught my notes (I keep a scruffy written log of what I do to try to get bits of linux working, so that I don't waste time doing the same thing again if it doesn't work). That says I installed XfreeCD off the Kpackage utility and ran it, and CDs would then play with KSCD. There's obviously something somewhere that needs to be configured, or turned on, or poked in the eye, and XfreeCD does it whereas Knoppix install and KSCD don't.

    Thereafter, XfreeCD wouldn't work - it crashed whenever I started it, but KSCD works fine. I removed XfreeCD.

    I've not yet been able to inspect the contents of music CDs in Linux, though. I use WIndows for those rare occasions I want to see what's actually on a CD.

    One warning: don't load packages called aRts... - they jammed up my soundcard config so that the card doesn't appear unless I run alsaconf at every bootup. They can't be removed: if I try to remove them with Kpackage, it shows that it's also going to remove all the related packages, which includes everything on the machine. I've done too much work on setting up this machine to wipe the lot and start again (though it's tempting sometimes at 2am).

Similar Threads

  1. Other Live CD's
    By Harry Kuhman in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 11:08 PM
  2. Gaming CD's
    By AnguisV in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 09:11 PM
  3. Swapping CD's under Knoppix
    By mrmr96 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 04:27 AM
  4. Knoppix Demo CD and Music CD's ?
    By samwisegamgee in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 05:37 AM
  5. kpackage + Debian cd's
    By proceed in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 11:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP EliteBook 840 G8 Laptop i7-1185G7 3.0GHz 8GB 512GB SSD Win 11 COA Grade C picture

HP EliteBook 840 G8 Laptop i7-1185G7 3.0GHz 8GB 512GB SSD Win 11 COA Grade C

$209.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$175.00



Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675) picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675)

$125.96



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor…. picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….

$309.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



SRF8X Intel Xeon Gold 6240 18 Core 2.60GHz 24.75MB 150W Processor  CPU picture

SRF8X Intel Xeon Gold 6240 18 Core 2.60GHz 24.75MB 150W Processor CPU

$19.99



Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF i7-9700 8-Core 3.0GHz 16B Ram NO HDD NO OS picture

Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF i7-9700 8-Core 3.0GHz 16B Ram NO HDD NO OS

$199.99



DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND

$189.99