Hello,

I'm trying to remaster Knoppix so that it will start ssh automatically, as well as use a static ip. (Yes, I remembered to change the passwords for security purposes.) The server that will be booting it is in a co-lo and can not get an ip via dhcp. I'm using Knoppix 3.8.2.

I read these threads and a howto about doing the ssh auto start, but it is not working for me: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11444
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19619
http://staff.washington.edu/gray/kserver.html

The second url seems to deal mostly with having ssh start automatically on a hd install. Having been an admin on Debian servers for a few years, that would be the easy part. The 3rd url also mentions using a floppy/usb drive/compact flash card for storing config files and scripts to run at boot time, but I do not have that convenience.

Also, how do I keep knoppix from trying to get an ip via dhcp at boot time?

The modifications I made in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession are as follows:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.100.10 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig eth0 broadcast 192.168.100.255
route add default gw 192.168.100.1
echo "search mydomain.com" > /etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 192.168.100.1" >> /etc/resolv.conf
sleep 2
/etc/init.d/ssh start
sleep 3
ifconfig -a | mail -s "Rescuecd booted" -c [email protected] [email protected]

(Yes, the ips and e-mail addresses are modified.) After booting, the e-mail is sent properly, but ssh is not running and it still gets its ip via dhcp.

Any hints or suggestions?

TIA,
Jacob