-
Cloning a hard disk
I want to clone the harddisk of a machine to six other identical pc's, without going through the
operating system install and application software install for each one. This strategy "seems"
reasonable! (Is it reasonable?) I did the install on the base machine; du -h shows about 5.6 Gb.
I used my external dvd+rw to burn the files, which required two dvds.
On one, I copied all of the files except /usr, and I copied /usr to the other dvd;
/usr is large, since that's where I installed all of the application software.
I want to boot the other machines with Knoppix 3.7, and install the files on both dvds to their
hard disks. The pc's to be cloned, when booted with Knoppix 3.7 with the dvd+rw (usb) plugged
in, do show that the dvd writer is mounted.
My question: How exactly do I prepare the hard drive for this cloning process? I use ext2 for
a small /boot partition, and ext3 for all others, except swap. I managed to delete all files on
the machine that I tried this on (yes, it really is easier to destroy than create!) Do I need to
format the hds, or can I just copy everything over? I do have the original partition table from
the base machine saved with sfdisk. Is there an easier or more obvious way to do this?
Thanks in advance!
Ferrel
Similar Threads
-
By philipharvey44 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-02-2006, 10:04 AM
-
By mouse8469 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-11-2006, 06:12 PM
-
By eon in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-02-2005, 11:14 AM
-
By MethodMan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-30-2004, 09:25 PM
-
By Philly_Blunt in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00

Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984
$179.99

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus
$64.95

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts
$71.95

Vintage Apple Keyboard II Mo487 In Black
$300.00

Vintage Apple AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone MC745LL/A COLLECTIBLE ONLY
$20.00

Apple PowerBook 3400c TFT LCD RARE Vintage Laptop untested
$139.99

Apple cloth fabric banner iBook bondi blue orange NOS Vintage
$99.00

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99