Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Internet seems to work, but browsers hang up

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9

    Internet seems to work, but browsers hang up

    Hi

    I've tried using several Knoppix version (namely 3.8.1, 3.8.2 and 3.9) and they all seem to have the same problem.
    I can connect to the internet fine (i get my ip and stuff from dhcp) and i can connect to msn/icq via Gaim without trouble.
    However, when I type an url in Konqueror (or whatever's the browser name), it hangs up and I have to reboot. Also, whenever I click Firefox, it hangs before a window appears and again I have to reboot.
    I think the problem occurs with IRC (xIRC i think) when I try to connect to a server.

    The network card seems fine and all since I can get files from shared drives on other computers...

    Help...

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Internet seems to work, but browsers hang up

    Quote Originally Posted by kynax
    The network card seems fine and all since I can get files from shared drives on other computers....
    Yup, NIC must be working. Sounds like a configuration issue but that seems strange with a dhcp setup. Can you ping 216.32.81.146 from a shell? If so, can you ping www.knoppix.net? Anything strange under ifconfig? You are running from CD, are you not?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    Im running the ISO directly from my HD, so yes, technically I'm running from the CD...
    And for now, I have no partition on which to save my configs since my laptop only has NTFS partitions

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by kynax
    Im running the ISO directly from my HD, so yes, technically I'm running from the CD........(
    What happens if you boot the CD and run from there?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    i dont have the cd... I'm using GRUB to launch directly from the iso on my main partition

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1

    I have having a similar problem. I can use the internet just fine but in the middle of say opening a page or uploading a file the browser window just closes out. and then it takes forever to reload a window again.

    I am running off the cd, (cuz I can't seem to get it to run from the HD)

    any suggestions?

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by bubblesam07
    I have having a similar problem. ....

    any suggestions?
    My suggestion would be the same that I made to kynax but never got any feedback on, the simple test of pinging the IP address and the URL. ifconfig information might be helpful for you too, as well as all the hard details on your "similar" configuration.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    Sorry for the delay, my comp wasn't available for a few days

    Ok, I tried what you suggested...

    I can ping both the IP you gave me and www.knoppix.net, along with www.google.ca and all the sites i've tried


    I ran ifconfig, here's what shows up:

    eth0
    link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:E0:29:4E:CD:AB
    inet addr: 192.168.1.114 Bcast: 192.168.1.255 Mask: 255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets: 44 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:34 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:5562 (5.4 KiB) TX bytes: 4390 (4.2 KiB)
    Interrupt:11 Base address:0xb800

    and the local loopback, which is useless in this case

    Appart from the Ip adresses and HWaddress, I don't know anything about what this message means, but I guess it looks ok

    as for my hardware, if i can help:
    Duron 850
    256mb SD-RAM (using either 32 or 64 mb as ramdrive)
    I'm pretty sure the ethernet card is a Linksys, and it works fine in Windows and Knoppix as far as local network is concerned.
    I also have 3 sound cards (2 PCI and 1 ISA)... maybe the interupts are conflicting, but again, it works fine in Windows.

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by kynax
    I can ping both the IP you gave me and www.knoppix.net, along with www.google.ca and all the sites i've tried
    If you can ping by URL as well as by IP address then it tells me that your TCP/IP stack is working fine, including DNS settings (I had expected the problem to be a DNS configuraion issue, it is not).

    Quote Originally Posted by kynax
    Im running the ISO directly from my HD, so yes, technically I'm running from the CD...
    Would you mind doing a simple test and seeing what happens when you really run from the CD rather than running from HD and claiming that it's technically the same? When I run from CD I sure don't have the problem that you have, and if DNS lookup is right and you TCP/IP stack is clearly working than I can't imagine what the problem could be other than my guess that you had "installed" to HD but not wanted to mention it. Make a CD if need be.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    I hope don't saying a very stupid thing, but maybe this doesn't concern netcards or network but with cpu power.
    I've experienced freeziong problems in my celerons 1 GHZ with 3.8, but don't with 3.4. I've tryed as test just load both knoppix 3.4 and 3.8 and just run galaga (yes, the game), after few minutes 3.8 freeze it. Not any kinds of problems with high powered processors. Maybe is the 2.6 vs. 2.4 kernel the issue?

    bye, max

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. No video in browsers, eg Cnn, Fox BBC News.
    By zimbodel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 07:04 AM
  2. Problem with browsers with Knoppix.
    By mcamacho in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2006, 12:02 AM
  3. http opens 2 browsers
    By Dreamofgilgamesh in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 08:15 PM
  4. What was wrong with the web browsers
    By satimis in forum Networking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-28-2003, 11:35 PM
  5. internet won't work - possible fix
    By rickenbacherus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 03:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US picture

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US

$349.00